Forum: Ruby on Rails Can't send email from my mac?

Ben J. (Guest)
on 2007-01-11 22:22
Do I need to do anything special to test the ActionMailer to make sure
it emails? I'm developing locally on my macbook pro. I made a simple
test method straight out of a book that I know works and I'm not getting
any email. Do I need to turn on a service? Open a port?

Thanks for your help.
Ben J. (Guest)
on 2007-01-11 22:36
Ben J. wrote:
> Do I need to do anything special to test the ActionMailer to make sure
> it emails? I'm developing locally on my macbook pro. I made a simple
> test method straight out of a book that I know works and I'm not getting
> any email. Do I need to turn on a service? Open a port?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Also this is weird. If I type the following commnd:

mails -s test removed_email_address@domain.invalid

This sends me email. Then I try to test if the ActionMailer works. If I
wait a min, it stops working. I have to run that command for it to send
email. Any idea why this is?
matt (Guest)
On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 21:36 +0100, Ben J. wrote:
> mails -s test removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>
> This sends me email. Then I try to test if the ActionMailer works. If I
> wait a min, it stops working. I have to run that command for it to send
> email. Any idea why this is?

Ben, I don't know if this is relevant, but somewhere in my ActionMailer
searches, I remember someone mentioning that some servers are setup so
that a smtp and pop3 connection were in some way linked.  Meaning that
smtp (outbound) would only occur in the timeframe vicinty of a
pop3(inbound) connection.

I think that I found in on the rails wiki, but I dont remember.

and as I did a cursery check I found this (still dont know if it solves
your problem though):
 http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/PopBeforeS...
 http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToSendE...

Hope it helps