Forum: Ruby How to retrieve some photos stored on Amazon with Ruby on Ra

Nik (Guest)
Hello all!

Thanks for reading my post first!

Would anyone be kind enough to instruct me to link my photos I uploaded
to Amazon S3 (by using JungleDisk) on my Ruby on Rails app?

If there's already an article, could you kindly point me to it?

Thank you very much!

Nik
James B. (Guest)
Nik wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Thanks for reading my post first!
>
> Would anyone be kind enough to instruct me to link my photos I uploaded
> to Amazon S3 (by using JungleDisk) on my Ruby on Rails app?
>
> If there's already an article, could you kindly point me to it?

To get stuff via http, the object has to be publicly readable.

You can then make a URL from the default s3 domain and the bucket name +
object name

For example, rubyaz.org uses s3 to serve some images.

The bucket name is

   /e3static.rubyaz.org/images/

An object is

   cyclonemap.jpg

So the URL is

   http://s3.amazonaws.com/e3static.rubyaz.org/images...

If you want to use a nice URL that maps to your application domain, you
need to do some DNS CNAME stuff.

Then you can do this:

   http://e3static.rubyaz.org/images/cyclonemap.jpg

If there's something else you need to do that is Rails related, you
would do better to ask on the Rails mailing list.

--
James B.

"I can see them saying something like 'OMG Three Wizards Awesome'"
   - billinboston, on reddit.com
Giles B. (Guest)
Definitely check the Rails list for Rails questions. That being said,
there's an S3 library from 37 Signals you might like.

http://www.rubyinside.com/advent2006/1-amazon-s3.html
James B. (Guest)
Giles B. wrote:
> Definitely check the Rails list for Rails questions. That being said,
> there's an S3 library from 37 Signals you might like.
>
> http://www.rubyinside.com/advent2006/1-amazon-s3.html

I had some issues with that lib, and did better with net-amazon-s3:

http://wonko.com/files/net-amazon-s3/doc/

--
James B.

"Take eloquence and wring its neck."
  - Paul Verlaine
Giles B. (Guest)
> Giles B. wrote:
> > Definitely check the Rails list for Rails questions. That being said,
> > there's an S3 library from 37 Signals you might like.
> >
> > http://www.rubyinside.com/advent2006/1-amazon-s3.html
>
> I had some issues with that lib, and did better with net-amazon-s3:
>
> http://wonko.com/files/net-amazon-s3/doc/

Actually, I have to admit, I haven't used it at all. About three days
before it was announced I finished up the S3 component of a Rails
site. What I'd done was pretty simple, I just took the existing S3
demo code from Amazon and wrapped it in a Bucket object which knew how
to save files to itself. The only tricky part was getting files to
stream, and that was a very small fix I found on a blog at
missiondata.com.
Anjum P. (Guest)
hello...
i am doin a project where i need to design a web user interface..
the environment i am using is LINUX.
for doing web application things on windows environment we use IIS
server
and ASP.
but things are not same and easy when we work in LINUX environment
regarding
database connectivity etc.,
i want my User interface should generate  markup pages after  clicking
on
events on those web pages.
so can anybody suggest me that is RUBY good choice by building such
application?
if yes then what are the ways to do that?
if not then what are the other ways to do this thing??
plz reply as soon  as possible..
m waiting eagerly for the solution!!

thanking in advance..
Jan S. (Guest)
On 1/11/07, Anjum P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> hello...
> i am doin a project where i need to design a web user interface..
> the environment i am using is LINUX.
> for doing web application things on windows environment we use IIS server
> and ASP.

Please don't hijack threads, start your own thread with a proper
subject.
That way you will not disturb the original topic as you have done now,
and people will more likely notice your question.

Technically: please don't use the "Reply" button, use the "New mail"
instead.

Thanks.