Forum: Ruby Ruby intergation with barcode scanner

Adrian R. (Guest)
on 2007-01-10 12:25
Hi

I was wondering whether any one had got any experience or software to
access the USB ports. I have got a rs232 scanner that I can connect to a
USB port. I would like to get it to work to read ISBN numbers so I can
put the details in a mysql database. I have done programming before
(java C shell scripts) but am quite new to ruby, what I have seen so far
is really good. I would be very glade of some help/or software I can
hack to do what I want to do with ruby as the language of choice.

Adrian
Stefan S. (Guest)
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:25:51 +0900, Adrian R. wrote:

> Adrian

the barcode scanners I know emulate a keyboard, so using them from
ruby should be a matter of plugging them in and reading from $stdin.

s.
matt (Guest)
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 19:35 +0900, Stefan S. wrote:
> > hack to do what I want to do with ruby as the language of choice.
> >
> > Adrian
> >

> the barcode scanners I know emulate a keyboard, so using them from
> ruby should be a matter of plugging them in and reading from $stdin.
>
> s.

There's also OPOS ( Ole for Point Of Sale), is another mechanism that is
common with scanners, especially in the retail/POS industry.  They can
run through USB, parallel or rs-232.  I know that there is some VB code
out there to test the OPOS interface, so it might be possible to find
that, and convert it.  Sorry I don't remember how they did it, but it
wasn't too complex (c'mon, it was in VB)

Matt