Forum: Ruby Proc code

Marc S. (Guest)
Hey all,

Is there a way to get the code (or, more importantly, the variables)
out of a block associated with a Proc?  For example:

foo = lamdba { a = 'bar'; puts a }
p foo.source

produces "a = 'bar'; puts a"

I thought about extending Proc and saving the block in initialize, but
this seems like a lot of overhead if you have a lot of Procs.

Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Marc
Trans (Guest)
Marc S. wrote:
> I thought about extending Proc and saving the block in initialize, but
> this seems like a lot of overhead if you have a lot of Procs.
>
> Any better ideas?

Not the source, but you can use local_varaibles against the binding of
the proc. Check out Facets' binding methods too which can make it
easier.

  http://facets.rubyforge.org

T.
Giles B. (Guest)
There was a Ruby Q. on this a little while back, or at least, I saw
it a little while back. Might be in the Ruby Q. book, I'm not sure.
Basically it was about creating serializable Procs, and most solutions
just wrapped Proc in classes which returned the Proc in most cases and
a string in the event of deserialization.

Long story short, if you want to do this, I believe you do have to
wrap Proc; there's nothing in Proc itself to store the code. Although
I don't know too much about what Facets or local_variables, so those
solutions could be better.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 8, 2007, at 19:35, Marc S. wrote:

> Any better ideas?

Use the ruby2ruby gem.

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
Marc S. (Guest)
> > produces "a = 'bar'; puts a"
>   http://facets.rubyforge.org
>
> T.

Since I'm really only interested in the variables this is perfect.
Thanks!

Marc