Forum: Ruby on Rails Updating Rails

Bob C. (Guest)
on 2007-01-08 07:39
I run:

sudo gem update rails

To get:
Updating installed gems...
Attempting remote update of rails
Successfully installed rails-1.1.6
Gems: [rails] updated

But:
 rails --version

Still yields:
Rails 1.0.0

Why?

Thanks for any feedback
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi, you can do the following to update to 1.2 RC 2:

gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org
--include-dependencies

Good luck,

-Conrad
Imobach González Sosa (Guest)
2007/1/8, Bob C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> But:
>  rails --version

Are you using GNU/Linux? If so, did you installed Rails 1.0.0 from
gems too? Or using your distro's packages? What about "gem list"?

See ya!
Bob C. (Guest)
on 2007-01-08 20:05
I am using Mac OSX.

gem list
yeilds:
rails (1.1.6)
    Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
    and ORM.

Here it gets funny:
bob-cobers-computer:~/PRJGAME/Rings2 bobcober$ /opt/local/bin/rails
--version
Rails 1.1.6
bob-cobers-computer:~/PRJGAME/Rings2 bobcober$ which rails
/opt/local/bin/rails
bob-cobers-computer:~/PRJGAME/Rings2 bobcober$ rails --version
Rails 1.0.0
bob-cobers-computer:~/PRJGAME/Rings2 bobcober$ /usr/bin/rails --version
Rails 1.0.0

I am going to delete the older one in /usr/bin, but I am confused.

If 'which' lists /opt/local/bin why is it still using /usr/bin ?

Thanks for any feedback

Imobach González Sosa wrote:
> 2007/1/8, Bob C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>>
>> But:
>>  rails --version
>
> Are you using GNU/Linux? If so, did you installed Rails 1.0.0 from
> gems too? Or using your distro's packages? What about "gem list"?
>
> See ya!
Faisal N Jawdat (Guest)
> But:
> rails --version
>
> Still yields:
> Rails 1.0.0
>
> Why?

What happens when you do a "which rails" and "whereis rails"?

-faisal