Forum: Ruby on Rails date validations

(Guest)
I have two parts of a question.  First I have several dates in my app
which aren't required, so I don't think I can use a date_select right?
There doesn't seem to be a way to give the user an option to *not*
select a date.

So, assuming I need to just give the users a form field, anyone have a
good piece of code for checking the validity of a date, allowing
various forms, i.e.:
12.12.2007
12/12/2007
12-12-2007

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Joe.
Elad M. (Guest)
> I have two parts of a question.  First I have several dates in my app
> which aren't required, so I don't think I can use a date_select right?
> There doesn't seem to be a way to give the user an option to *not*
> select a date.
>
> So, assuming I need to just give the users a form field, anyone have a
> good piece of code for checking the validity of a date, allowing
> various forms, i.e.:
> 12.12.2007
> 12/12/2007
> 12-12-2007
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Joe.

No No No :)

use some javascript to enable or to disable that date select with a
check box for example, and then use the check box value in the
controller in order to check if to use the date select value or not.
paul (Guest)
> I have two parts of a question.  First I have several dates in my app
> which aren't required, so I don't think I can use a date_select right?
> There doesn't seem to be a way to give the user an option to *not*
> select a date.
>
> So, assuming I need to just give the users a form field, anyone have a
> good piece of code for checking the validity of a date, allowing
> various forms, i.e.:
> 12.12.2007
> 12/12/2007
> 12-12-2007