Forum: Ruby on Rails Dumping current database to a migration?

Adam S. (Guest)
on 2007-01-06 21:56
Hi.

I'm a Rubynuby and I was wondering if it's possible to dump the current
state of my database (all the rows in different tables) to a form of a
migration?

I don't know if I made myself clear enough, so let me elaborate:
Me and a few of my friends are working on a project using cvs. I added
*lots* of testing data (in the database) and I want all of my coworkers
to have the same content of the databases as I do. Is there a way that I
can create a migration which transforms an empty database into a
database filled with records (not random  records, my records ;) ).

Oh, and sorry for my English.
paul (Guest)
on 2007-01-06 22:34
Adam Sosnowski wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm a Rubynuby and I was wondering if it's possible to dump the current
> state of my database (all the rows in different tables) to a form of a
> migration?
>
> I don't know if I made myself clear enough, so let me elaborate:
> Me and a few of my friends are working on a project using cvs. I added
> *lots* of testing data (in the database) and I want all of my coworkers
> to have the same content of the databases as I do. Is there a way that I
> can create a migration which transforms an empty database into a
> database filled with records (not random  records, my records ;) ).
>
> Oh, and sorry for my English.

take a look at http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/migration2
paul (Guest)
on 2007-01-06 22:35
Michael G. (Guest)
on 2007-01-07 16:54
Adam Sosnowski wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm a Rubynuby and I was wondering if it's possible to dump the current
> state of my database (all the rows in different tables) to a form of a
> migration?
>
> I don't know if I made myself clear enough, so let me elaborate:
> Me and a few of my friends are working on a project using cvs. I added
> *lots* of testing data (in the database) and I want all of my coworkers
> to have the same content of the databases as I do. Is there a way that I
> can create a migration which transforms an empty database into a
> database filled with records (not random  records, my records ;) ).
>
> Oh, and sorry for my English.

If you're trying to share test data you should consider creating
fixtures with this information and actually writing automated tests.