Forum: Ruby Backquote command execution path problem

Felipe N. (Guest)
C:\projeto>irb
irb(main):001:0> `cd`
=> "C:\\projeto\n"

How i change the path that the command will be executed ?

What must happen:

C:\projeto>irb
irb(main):001:0> YOUR_MAGIC_COMMAND("C:\\projeto\\blablabla")
irb(main):002:0> `cd`
=> "C:\\projeto\\blablabla\n"
Rodrigo B. (Guest)
on 2007-01-06 21:19
Felipe N. wrote:
> C:\projeto>irb
> irb(main):001:0> `cd`
> => "C:\\projeto\n"
>
> How i change the path that the command will be executed ?
>
> What must happen:
>
> C:\projeto>irb
> irb(main):001:0> YOUR_MAGIC_COMMAND("C:\\projeto\\blablabla")
> irb(main):002:0> `cd`
> => "C:\\projeto\\blablabla\n"

YOUR_DIR="C:\\projeto\\blablabla\n"
`cd #{YOUR_DIR}`
=> "C:\\projeto\\blablabla\n"
YOUR_DIR="C:\\projeto"
`cd #{YOUR_DIR}`
> => "C:\\projeto\n"
Carlos (Guest)
Felipe N. wrote:

> C:\projeto>irb
> irb(main):001:0> `cd`
> => "C:\\projeto\n"
>
> How i change the path that the command will be executed ?
>
> What must happen:
>
> C:\projeto>irb
> irb(main):001:0> YOUR_MAGIC_COMMAND("C:\\projeto\\blablabla")

Dir.chdir('C:\\projeto\\blablabla')

> irb(main):002:0> `cd`
> => "C:\\projeto\\blablabla\n"

Greetings.
Robert K. (Guest)
On 05.01.2007 04:42, Felipe N. wrote:
> irb(main):002:0> `cd`
> => "C:\\projeto\\blablabla\n"

Do you want to change the path of the Ruby script?  Then no "cd" in any
subprocess will help - that only changes the sub process's path.  Also,
you might be confusing "cd" with "pwd" for printing the path.  You
probably want this:

irb(main):001:0> Dir.pwd
=> "/home/robert"
irb(main):002:0> Dir.chdir "/tmp"