Forum: Ruby Re: unsubscribe

David P. (Guest)
It's BROKEN. I've tried this many times, in many ways.

----- Original Message ----
From: Mat S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
To: ruby-talk ML <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2007 7:08:51 AM
Subject: Re: unsubscribe

On Jan 4, 2007, at 6:56 AM, Alvin Thew wrote:

We can't unsubscribe you, but you'll find these in the headers for
most mailing lists.  The List-Unsubscribe header is telling you to
send an email to removed_email_address@domain.invalid with 'unsubscribe' in
the body.
-Mat
Austin Z. (Guest)
On 1/4/07, David P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> It's BROKEN. I've tried this many times, in many ways.

Unsubscription isn't actually broken; there are feature limits. One of
those may be that your mail client sends messages in quoted-printable
format (I checked this against the original format in gmail) as
opposed to simple plain ASCII. I know that people who use gmail have
had problems when they send their messages in UTF-8 because the
messages are encoded base64.

-austin
Bertram S. (Guest)

Am Donnerstag, 04. Jan 2007, 23:52:06 +0900 schrieb Austin Z.:
> On 1/4/07, David P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >It's BROKEN. I've tried this many times, in many ways.
>
> Unsubscription isn't actually broken; there are feature limits. One of
> those may be that your mail client sends messages in quoted-printable
> format (I checked this against the original format in gmail) as
> opposed to simple plain ASCII.

  irb(main):001:0> "=5f=2e=3a=2a=49=2a=3a=2e=5f".unpack "M*"
  => ["_.:*I*:._"]

> I know that people who use gmail have
> had problems when they send their messages in UTF-8 because the
> messages are encoded base64.

  irb(main):002:0> "Xy46KkkqOi5f".unpack "m*"
  => ["_.:*I*:._"]

Or just call (<http://opensource.bertram-scharpf.de/sites/cropmail>):

  mymessage.decoded =~ /.../u

Regarding multipart messages (untested):

  class Cropmail::Message
    def body_matches re
      if is_multipart? then
        each { |p,invisible|  # invisible is preamble or epilogue
          return p.body_matches re unless invisible
        }
      else
        decoded =~ re

  mymessage.body_matches /.../u