Forum: Ruby on Rails Question re: .rjs files

Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 06:20
I'm in Chapter 9, "Add A Dash of AJAX".  I created the add_to_cart.rjs
file using RadRails.  When I re-load the index page, the "Add to Cart"
button disappears.  Also, I've noticed that the file type in Windows
Explorer for my "add_to_cart.rjs" file is "RealSystem Skin".  I've
checked both my browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox, and I have
javascript enabled.  I don't understand where "RealSystem Skin" comes
in.
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 13:57
Kenny Mr wrote:
> I'm in Chapter 9, "Add A Dash of AJAX".  I created the add_to_cart.rjs
> file using RadRails.  When I re-load the index page, the "Add to Cart"
> button disappears.  Also, I've noticed that the file type in Windows
> Explorer for my "add_to_cart.rjs" file is "RealSystem Skin".  I've
> checked both my browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox, and I have
> javascript enabled.  I don't understand where "RealSystem Skin" comes
> in.

Can you paste the RJS file here ?

Windows guess at what type of file it is, isn't really relevant I'd have
thought.  I assume the extension is registered as some kind of skin for
Real Player (?).

A.
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 14:00
Alan F. wrote:
> Kenny Mr wrote:
>> I'm in Chapter 9, "Add A Dash of AJAX".  I created the add_to_cart.rjs
>> file using RadRails.  When I re-load the index page, the "Add to Cart"
>> button disappears.  Also, I've noticed that the file type in Windows
>> Explorer for my "add_to_cart.rjs" file is "RealSystem Skin".  I've
>> checked both my browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox, and I have
>> javascript enabled.  I don't understand where "RealSystem Skin" comes
>> in.
>
> Can you paste the RJS file here ?
>
> Windows guess at what type of file it is, isn't really relevant I'd have
> thought.  I assume the extension is registered as some kind of skin for
> Real Player (?).
>

> A.

The rjs file (I've just looked) replaces the HTML div with id = 'cart'
with a rendered partial.  If, for some reason, that partial failed to
render, you'd get the behavious you describe.

Have you restarted the server ?

A.
Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 14:56
Alan F. wrote:
> Alan F. wrote:
>> Kenny Mr wrote:
>>> I'm in Chapter 9, "Add A Dash of AJAX".  I created the add_to_cart.rjs
>>> file using RadRails.  When I re-load the index page, the "Add to Cart"
>>> button disappears.  Also, I've noticed that the file type in Windows
>>> Explorer for my "add_to_cart.rjs" file is "RealSystem Skin".  I've
>>> checked both my browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox, and I have
>>> javascript enabled.  I don't understand where "RealSystem Skin" comes
>>> in.
>>
>> Can you paste the RJS file here ?
>>
>> Windows guess at what type of file it is, isn't really relevant I'd have
>> thought.  I assume the extension is registered as some kind of skin for
>> Real Player (?).
>>

>> A.
>
> The rjs file (I've just looked) replaces the HTML div with id = 'cart'
> with a rendered partial.  If, for some reason, that partial failed to
> render, you'd get the behavious you describe.
>
> Have you restarted the server ?
>
> A.

The file in question is

page.replace_html("cart", :partial => "cart", :object => @cart)

I did restart the server when I got the error.
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 15:49
Kenny Mr wrote:

>> The rjs file (I've just looked) replaces the HTML div with id = 'cart'
>> with a rendered partial.  If, for some reason, that partial failed to
>> render, you'd get the behavious you describe.
>>
>> Have you restarted the server ?
>>
>> A.
>
> The file in question is
>
> page.replace_html("cart", :partial => "cart", :object => @cart)
>
> I did restart the server when I got the error.

And now, with the restarted server, you dont see the cart when you first
hit the page, or does it only disapper when you add something  ?

Because, if it's on the first hit of the page, it's not RJS thats the
problem.  It only gets triggered when you add to cart.
Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 16:06
Alan F. wrote:

> And now, with the restarted server, you dont see the cart when you first
> hit the page, or does it only disapper when you add something  ?
>
> Because, if it's on the first hit of the page, it's not RJS thats the
> problem.  It only gets triggered when you add to cart.

When I reload, I'm able to see my catalog page, but the "Add To Cart"
button is gone.  The only button on the page is "Empty Cart".
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 16:16
Kenny Mr wrote:
> Alan F. wrote:
>>
>> And now, with the restarted server, you dont see the cart when you first
>> hit the page, or does it only disapper when you add something  ?
>>
>> Because, if it's on the first hit of the page, it's not RJS thats the
>> problem.  It only gets triggered when you add to cart.
>
> When I reload, I'm able to see my catalog page, but the "Add To Cart"
> button is gone.  The only button on the page is "Empty Cart".

I'm not sure what you mean by reload. :-)

If you open a brand new browser and hit the page for the first time (ie
dont just hit refresh), is the cart hidden or visible ?

A.
Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 16:40
Alan F. wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by reload. :-)
>
> If you open a brand new browser and hit the page for the first time (ie
> dont just hit refresh), is the cart hidden or visible ?
>
> A.

Cart is visible.  "Add To Cart" button does not display.
Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-01-04 20:17
Kenny Mr wrote:
> Alan F. wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you mean by reload. :-)
>>
>> If you open a brand new browser and hit the page for the first time (ie
>> dont just hit refresh), is the cart hidden or visible ?

I just tried creating a .rjs file here at work using Dreamweaver MX.
When I check the extension in the Windows Explorer directory, the file
type is RJS.  My Internet Explorer version here at work is 6, my IE
version at home is 7.  I use Windows XP Home edition both at home and
work.  I also tried creating one using Notepad - same results.  I used
both Radrails and Cute HTML at home for my .rjs file, but it shows file
extension as RealSystem Skin.  I don't have the RealPlayer software on
my pc at work.  Did at home, but I have uninstalled it, hoping that
would make a difference.
Mohit S. (Guest)
Kenny Mr wrote:
> When I check the extension in the Windows Explorer directory, the file
> type is RJS.  My Internet Explorer version here at work is 6, my IE
> version at home is 7.  I use Windows XP Home edition both at home and
> work.  I also tried creating one using Notepad - same results.  I used
> both Radrails and Cute HTML at home for my .rjs file, but it shows
> file extension as RealSystem Skin.  I don't have the RealPlayer
> software on my pc at work.  Did at home, but I have uninstalled it,
> hoping that would make a difference.

Windows has an internal register of what each file type is (depending on
when a piece of software registers itself as capable of handling a file
type) - I guess when the RealPlayer was set up, it registered RJS as a
file type it handles.  Now, any file with that extension will show up
with that explanation.  Perhaps, a search on de-registering a program
from handling a file extension will help.  It must be in the registry, I
guess - on my PC, it seems to be under "My
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\..." the ... = the extension in question,
example .aiff or .rjs

I'm not sure what you can do with that information, though :-P

On the other hand, if all you want to achieve is that the file open with
a different program, then right click on the file and select the "Open
With..." option and scroll down to "Choose Program.." and then "Select
from a list" and finally browse/ scroll to the program that you want to
open this file with.  Remember to check the box "Always use the selected
program to open this kind of file" - thereafter, it will open with that
program.

I hope this helps.. hope, I didn't completely misunderstand your
question :-D

Cheers
Mohit.
Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-01-07 04:37
Update:

Removed RealPlayer on my home PC.  .rjs extension on my computer at home
is now being read as just that, rjs for ruby javascript.  Just a few
minutes ago, I started off fresh.  Started Radrails, Started Instant
Rails and loaded Ruby Console Server.  Started my browser.  Typed in the
URL http://localhost:3000/store.  My catalog page shows up, but still
the "Add To Cart" button is gone.
eff6 (Guest)
Hi Kenny,

I am facing the same problem of not being able to see "Add to Cart"
button although i see "empty cart" while coding as per Chapter 9 of ROR
book (2nd ed.). I am working on Linux. Did u find the solution for your
problem? Any pointers that can solve this conundrum would help me sleep
:)

Preet.
Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-01-18 15:23
eff6 wrote:
> Hi Kenny,
>
> I am facing the same problem of not being able to see "Add to Cart"
> button although i see "empty cart" while coding as per Chapter 9 of ROR
> book (2nd ed.). I am working on Linux. Did u find the solution for your
> problem? Any pointers that can solve this conundrum would help me sleep
> :)
>
> Preet.

I still haven't come across a solution.  Sorry.
Preet (Guest)
Hi Kenny!

I just found the solution for our problem!!

Use this code in index.rhtml and it will like a charm (at least it did
for me):

<%= form_remote_tag (:url => { :action => :add_to_cart, :id => product
}) %>
      <%= submit_tag ("Add to Cart") %>
<%= end_form_tag %>

There are mainly 4 changes:
1) Open the form_remote_tag with <%= instead of <%
2) remove "do" at the end of  "form_remote_tag" closure
3) Coreesponding END tag for  'form_remote_tag'  is "end_form_tag" and
not "end"
4) Don't forget to include '<%=' in front of "end_form_tag" instead of
just <% or else ur cart will not work correctly.

All the best!!

Preet
Kenny M. (Guest)
on 2007-02-06 17:02
Preet:  Yes it worked.  Then I went on to the next chapter and other
errors have developed.  Thanks for your post, though - sorry I haven't
said that before now.