Forum: Ruby on Rails Any news on JRuby?

Steve K. (Guest)
on 2007-01-03 20:48
I saw a post on some board a while ago and wanted to know if anybody had
heard anything about the current state of JRuby?  Some folks on
technical governance board at work were asking about it.

Last I heard was that maybe 80% of Rails 1.1 was working.  Or am I
incorrect?

Thanks!
Nick S. (Guest)
On 1/3/07, Steve K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I saw a post on some board a while ago and wanted to know if anybody had
> heard anything about the current state of JRuby?  Some folks on
> technical governance board at work were asking about it.
>
> Last I heard was that maybe 80% of Rails 1.1 was working.  Or am I
> incorrect?

It's around that, yes, but we sure would appreciate folks who have the
time
to try their apps out and let us know where there are holes.  There is
some
documentation of test results here which look promising [1], but it's a
little out of date.

Cheers,
/Nick

[1]: http://www.headius.com/jrubywiki/index.php/Rails_Support
Steve K. (Guest)
on 2007-01-03 21:55
Wow!  Thanks for the quick response!

I'm definately interested in this....and it would make sellign RoR to
management a lot easier.

I'll have to try downloading it and giving it a shot.

Thanks

MudDawg
Justin F. (Guest)
Steve K. wrote:

Keep an eye on Charles Nutter's blog:

http://headius.blogspot.com/

JRuby seems to be making good progress, and both Charles Nutter and
Thomas E., the lead developers, are now employed by Sun to work full
time on it.

Rails on JRuby is basically working (I think it's very slow in
development mode but tolerable in production mode) - it was demonstrable
at RailsConf Europe back in mid-September. I know that having full Rails
functionality is regarded as a criterion for reaching version 1.0 of
JRuby, so that's a milestone to watch for.

If your organisation is using Java/Spring/Hibernate you might also find
Groovy and Grails interesting:

   http://grails.codehaus.org/

regards

   Justin F.