Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails Installation Help

alexanderrmorrow (Guest)
I'm searching for a comprehensive, detail-oriented guide to installing
Ruby on Rails and all the necessary programs on Mac OS X Version
10.4.8. I have not been able to find an updated version that covers the
most basic details for a true beginner at programming. Does anyone know
of any updated guides? Every guide seems outdated.
Bill W. (Guest)
Hi Alex,

alexanderrmorrow wrote:
>  I have not been able to find an updated version that covers the most
> basic details for a true beginner at programming.

My advice would be to start with Locomotive (
http://locomotive.raaum.org/ ).  Installing a system like Rails from
scratch
requires knowledge that you don't currently have, that takes quite a
while
to acquire, and that won't help you learn programming.

hth,
Bill
alexanderrmorrow (Guest)
This is fine but I would really like to learn how to install Rails from
scratch.
koloa (Guest)
on 2007-01-01 22:11

for me the hivelogic tutorial was the best out of the 4-5 tutorials out
there.

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

however, you need to follow the directions very closly or else things
will go fishy.

alexanderrmorrow wrote:
> This is fine but I would really like to learn how to install Rails from
> scratch.
chiefgeek (Guest)
Ditoo what koloa says. I've run thru the hivelogic tutorial a couple of
times on 10.4.6+ with success. Follow it to the letter and it should
work fine.