Forum: Ruby on Rails large file upload crash rails app

Truong-an T. (Guest)
on 2006-12-30 04:02
when uploading a large file (8meg) to my live deployed railsapp website
( www.lifehoo.com ) hosted on textdrive, it crashes the railsapp.

Is there a way in rubyrails to prevent this from happening?
Elad M. (Guest)
Hi Truong,

Please paste your exception details, it is very hard to guess (maybe
Zed S. can do some telepathic assistance, i heard he can do anything
regarding rails :) )
Truong-an T. (Guest)
on 2006-12-31 20:09
Elad M. wrote:
> Hi Truong,
>
> Please paste your exception details, it is very hard to guess (maybe
> Zed S. can do some telepathic assistance, i heard he can do anything
> regarding rails :) )

Hi, production.log and fastcgi.crash.log doesn't show anything.

however, while logging in via ssh shell, I noticed this:

RMagick: Memory allocation failed `Cannot allocate memory'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jakob S. (Guest)
Truong-an Thai wrote:
> Hi, production.log and fastcgi.crash.log doesn't show anything.
>
> however, while logging in via ssh shell, I noticed this:
>
> RMagick: Memory allocation failed `Cannot allocate memory'.
>
> Any suggestions?

My best guess would be to add some more RAM to the machine. Or in some
other way make more memory available to the process.

--
Jakob S. - http://mentalized.net
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 31 Dec 2006, at 19:17, Jakob S. wrote:

> Truong-an Thai wrote:
>> Hi, production.log and fastcgi.crash.log doesn't show anything.
>> however, while logging in via ssh shell, I noticed this:
>> RMagick: Memory allocation failed `Cannot allocate memory'.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> My best guess would be to add some more RAM to the machine. Or in
> some other way make more memory available to the process.

The problem with shared hosts is that your memory is limited. As soon
as you go over a certain treshold, it just terminates your processes.
I'm having similar problems with uploads and even downloads via
send_file on a2hosting's servers. The shell also reads: out of
memory, my processes are all killed (including mongrel, the site goes
offline) and a core file is dumped. The same application runs without
a problem on our VPS or dedicated server.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt