Forum: Ruby on Rails development, test, production ... how about stage

(Guest)
I find a "mode" is missing when I iterate on my rails apps...

Specifically, right before production, I want to run on my development
machine as if I am in production mode.  It mainly boils down to this...
- I want the production setup (caching, error handling, etc)
- but I want my local machine DB (password, socket, etc)

So I have been using an additional mode that I call stage.
- just copied config/environments/production.rb to stage.rb
- and have a stage item in my database.yml that looks more like
development

This seems useful to me.

Comments ?  Comment enough to think about submitting to the rails folks
?

-- thanks, Andrew
Jeff C. (Guest)
> So I have been using an additional mode that I call stage.
> - just copied config/environments/production.rb to stage.rb
> - and have a stage item in my database.yml that looks more like
> development

That's how I do it, too.

> Comments ?  Comment enough to think about submitting to the rails folks
> ?

However I don't think it's common enough to be considered for core, if
that what's you're asking; it's easy enough for someone to do it
themselves (like you did), and everyone is going to want different
things in their "stage" environment.

Jeff
softiesonrails.com