Forum: Radiant CMS Deactivate page cache for development?

Andreas S. (Guest)
Hello list!

Is it possible to disable the page caching mechanism
during development of a Radiant web site?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Andreas S.
Ruben D. Orduz (Guest)
Andreas,

I believe if you comment line 8 of environment.rb and restart your web
server it will, be default, not cache pages.
Andreas S. (Guest)
Thanks!

it works ...
BUT:
After deactivation of the caching mechanism i clicked the
'Clear page cache' button ... oh my!
Only the files '.htaccess' and 'index.yml' are still in
the 'public' directory under the radiant root dir. *All*
other files - inclusive the 'images' subdirectory - are
gone. Is that a feature???

Best regards,
Andreas S.

Ruben D. Orduz schrieb:
Mislav M. (Guest)
On 12/30/06, Andreas S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> After deactivation of the caching mechanism i clicked the
> 'Clear page cache' button ... oh my!
> Only the files '.htaccess' and 'index.yml' are still in
> the 'public' directory under the radiant root dir. *All*
> other files - inclusive the 'images' subdirectory - are
> gone. Is that a feature???

Gee, I hope not! :-/

-M
Andreas S. (Guest)
Mislav Marohnić schrieb:

 > Gee, I hope not! :-/

If so, then i am happy that i encountered that
behavior during development ;-)

Best regards,
Andreas S.

Mislav Marohnić schrieb:
Ruben D. Orduz (Guest)
errr...being in development mode should do nothing to your file
system. That is really, really, really weird.

PS.: You all Radiantists have a happy and safe new year.
Andreas S. (Guest)
@Ruben:

I have to correct something:
My start command for Radiant is:
'sudo mongrel_rails start -e production'.
So I believe i use Radiant in 'production mode'
(unlike 'development mode'), yet i developing
the website (my meaning of 'during
development'). That's not the preferred
way of working with a Rails app, isn't it?

However: If i deactivate the caching (in 'environment.rb')
and then start Radiant with 'sudo mongrel_rails start -e production'
and then click the 'Clear page cache' button in the admin interface
and then loosing most files in '<Radiant-root>/public/' ... looks still
like a malpractice to me.

Best regards,
Andreas S.

Ruben D. Orduz schrieb:
Ruben D. Orduz (Guest)
Hi Andreas,

I'm at a loss here, cause 1) am not sure why you're losing your files
inside RAILS_ROOT/public and 2)am not too familiar with the
ideocincracies of Mongrel. I run all my apps with Apache/FCGI and
works pretty good--and it has never erased any of my files.

It's a scary thought that a web server (Mongrel) can -- and does --
delete physical files from the file system with a change of settings.
I'd look into Mongrel documentation, instead of Radiant, IMO.
Andreas S. (Guest)
Hi Ruben,

same behavior with Webrick:
My startup command (location: '<Radiant-root>'):
'sudo ruby script/server webrick -e production'.
The only files still in '<Radiant-root>/public'
(after 'Clear page cache') are 'index.yml' and
'.htaccess'.
Wanna try for yourself (i have no Apache-FCGI setup) ;-\ ?

*A happy and healthy new year to all list members!*

Best regards,
Andreas S.

Ruben D. Orduz schrieb:
Ruben D. Orduz (Guest)
Andreas,

Can you try ommiting the "-e production" flag when starting either
Mongrel or WEBrick? Or try replacing it with "-e development"? Still I
think it's REALLY weird that your files in public are gone...that's
baffling.

Happy new year to you too!
Andreas S. (Guest)
@Ruben:

Not good.
I've created a new Radiant site 'test_site' and a mysql database
'test_site'. Then i filled the development tables with
'script/setup_database development'. I use the option 3, full
featured blog. Starting: 'mongrel_rails start -e development'.
I use the browser to see the new blog website, all fine.
Then logging in to the admin interface of Radiant and change the
blog title. Save that change ('Save changes') and BANG! All files in
'<test_site-root>/public' (except for 'styles.css', '.htaccess',
'index.yml') are gone ...
In development mode Rails caching (thus Radiant caching) is
general deactivated.
I believe the caching of Radiant needs some improvements.

So: *DON'T USE RADIANT IN DEVELOPMENT MODE FOR WEBSITE CONSTRUCTION!*

 From the presentation of the
'Denver Derailed meeting September 27, 2006' by Nathan W.:

"Please note that because Radiant is already a complete and tested
application, we will NOT be running it in development mode; instead we
will be using production mode.
Radiant is significantly faster in production mode, and it is only in
production mode that page caching takes place."

Greetings,
Andreas S.

Ruben D. Orduz schrieb:
Sean C. (Guest)
Andreas,

I have used Radiant in all its released versions and the mental branch,
and I can assure you that it DOES NOT delete any files in public/ for
any reason, whether in development or production mode.  Check your
system settings, make sure that some other process, cron job or system
tool hasn't "cleaned" the folder.  Rather than being inflammatory, it
would help more if you could identify offending lines of code or trace
the evidence of your problem and submit the results as a trouble ticket
on the Trac.  I'm sorry you are having difficulty with it, but we can
help you better if you provide more information.

Sean C.
seancribbs.com
Ruben D. Orduz (Guest)
I agree with Sean. I have used both development and production modes
liberally and hitherto it has worked flawlessly and have not lost ANY
files and have not lost ANY DB records. I'm fairly sure it is not a
Radiant issue (at least not as direct consequence).
Andreas S. (Guest)
@Sean,
@Ruben,

it was not my intent to be inflammatory, really.
Please consider: I've commented out line 44 of
'config/environment.rb' (line 44:
config.action_controller.page_cache_directory = "#{RAILS_ROOT}/cache").
Perhaps that is a subtle distinction to your setup. I made that to see
changes in children of pages without clicking 'Clear page cache' first.

If i have time i will look at the source code (after finishing the
client project).

Best regards,
Andreas S.

Sean C. schrieb:
Sean C. (Guest)
It is possible that it was using #{RAILS_ROOT}/public as the cache
directory and clearing the cache deleted items in your /public
directory.  In development mode you should see changes immediately, but
even so, I would say put that line back in environment.rb and see what
happens.

Cheers,
Sean
Andreas S. (Guest)
@Sean,

yes, I've put line 44 back in 'environment.rb' and all seems fine.
Now - where i know that development mode gives me instant feedbacks -
i will use development mode during development of my Radiant website
(without doubt that makes sense ...).
Sorry for all the traffic here.

Best regards and a happy new year,
Andreas S.

P.S.: Is it possible to verify your assumption with the rails console
('script/console')?

Sean C. schrieb:
Sean C. (Guest)
Yes,

Andreas S. wrote:
> Andreas S.
>
> P.S.: Is it possible to verify your assumption with the rails console
> ('script/console')?

Yes, you can verify where it puts the cache in script/console with this
line:

puts ActionController::Base.page_cache_directory

Cheers,

Sean
Andreas S. (Guest)
@Sean,

line 44 of 'config/environment.rb' *in*:
---
 >> puts ActionController::Base.page_cache_directory
script/../config/../config/../cache
=> nil
---

line 44 of 'config/environment.rb' *out*:
---
 >> puts ActionController::Base.page_cache_directory
script/../config/../config/../public
=> nil
---

You're right! Thanks! No more mystery for me!
... now i can eat my quiche :-)

Best regards,
Andreas S.

Sean C. schrieb:
Andreas S. (Guest)
Okay, 'Agile Web D. with Rails' (First Edition), page 335
says:
"Page cache files are by default stored in the public directory of
your application."

Perhaps it would be nice to include a warning in 'config/environment.rb'
NOT to comment out line 44 ... to avoid such mail threads ;-)
(Or perhaps it would be nice to have educated users ...)

Best regards,
Andreas S.

Andreas S. schrieb:
Steven L. (Guest)
on 2008-12-17 03:48
Andreas S. wrote:
> Okay, 'Agile Web D. with Rails' (First Edition), page 335
> says:
> "Page cache files are by default stored in the public directory of
> your application."
>
> Perhaps it would be nice to include a warning in 'config/environment.rb'
> NOT to comment out line 44 ... to avoid such mail threads ;-)
> (Or perhaps it would be nice to have educated users ...)

I just experienced this too.  So how do I disable page caching without
erasing my public directory contents?

Thanks,
Steve
Sean C. (Guest)
Radiant maintains its own page cache directory, which is typically
RADIANT_PROJECT/cache.  Don't change it and you'll be fine.

Sean
Steven L. (Guest)
on 2008-12-17 04:01
Sean C. wrote:
> Radiant maintains its own page cache directory, which is typically
> RADIANT_PROJECT/cache.  Don't change it and you'll be fine.

Sorry to be dense, but I need to disable the radiant page cache because
I'm trying to display something from the session on a page.  I have
successfully written a radius tag (whoopee!) which can display things
from the session, but my Page.process() method isn't being called
because I think my page is cached.

How do I disable the radiant cache without erasing my public directory?

Thanks for the reply.

Steve
Sean C. (Guest)
Ah, I initially misunderstood.  Put this in your config/environment.rb:

ResponseCache.instance.perform_caching = false

Sean
Steven L. (Guest)
on 2008-12-17 04:58
Sean C. wrote:
> Ah, I initially misunderstood.  Put this in your config/environment.rb:
>
> ResponseCache.instance.perform_caching = false

Hmm doesn't seem to be working.  Page.process() still isn't being
called.

Does it matter where in environment.rb I put it? I don't understand
environment.rb very well yet.

Steve
Sean C. (Guest)
Steven L. wrote:
> Does it matter where in environment.rb I put it? I don't understand
> environment.rb very well yet.
>
> Steve

At the bottom would be best.  Also, be sure to clear your cache/
directory.

Sean
Steven L. (Guest)
on 2008-12-17 05:47
Sean C. wrote:

>> Also, be sure to clear your cache/ directory.

That was it! Thank you Sean.

Steve