Forum: Ruby on Rails managing visits

Patrick A. (Guest)
Hey all,
I have Users and Products, I would like to log every time a user visit
a product page.
I have:
users(id, name)
products(id,name)
what's the best way to do this? is it:
visits(id,user_id,product_id,visited_on)
with user has_many :visits
and visit belongs_to :user
and product has_many :visits
or

visits(user_id,product_id,visited_on)
with user has_many :visits through products
but I'm not sure how to manage that one

any idea?

thanx in advance

Pat
Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
You could use a before_filter or after_filter on the product page
actions to create a new AR object and save it to the DB.

--Jeremy
Patrick A. (Guest)
On 12/26/06, Jeremy McAnally <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> You could use a before_filter or after_filter on the product page
> actions to create a new AR object and save it to the DB.
>
> --Jeremy

thanx Jeremy but I wanted to know DBwise how to manage visits.
unknown (Guest)
sounds like you need a products_users HABTM table with a visits field
that
you can update on each visit.  As jeremy stated, you could handle this
in a
before_filter or in the actual action for the show product page.