Forum: Ruby A Ruby IDE with GUI capabilities

(Guest)
So far, as far as I can tell, there is no Ruby IDE with GUI
capabilities.

What I want to understand is: How can there be Gambas and yet Ruby
lacks a GUI interface?

I've been reading about Ruby and considering learning it and using it
exclusively but I'm not a command-line man and I don't want to have to
manually figure out all the GUI widgets and whatnot so I'm curious if
any one knows of any current project underway to make a new Ruby IDE
with GUI capabilities???
Chris C. (Guest)
> with GUI capabilities???

Hi,
The main problem with the idea of an IDE with a GUI builder is that
there are a lot of GUI toolkits in ruby, and nobody agrees on which
one is best
Alex Y. (Guest)
> I've been reading about Ruby and considering learning it and using it
> exclusively but I'm not a command-line man and I don't want to have to
> manually figure out all the GUI widgets and whatnot so I'm curious if
> any one knows of any current project underway to make a new Ruby IDE
> with GUI capabilities???
Does Glade do what you need?
Felipe N. (Guest)
VisualWx, a WxWidget GUI builder with Ruby Support
Alex F. (Guest)

Felipe N. wrote:
> VisualWx, a WxWidget GUI builder with Ruby Support

Slightly OT, but you should be able to use most or all of the large
number of free and commercial GUI designers for WxWidgets with wxRuby,
because they and wxRuby support XRC, a common XML interface description
language. See:

http://www.wxcommunity.com/modules.php?op=modload&...

AFAIK, VisualWx is the only one that supports ruby programming in the
same environment.

I haven't tried these (still using emacs and a pencil), but other users
have reported finding them productive.

Bear in mind that wxruby though pretty complete is not quite stable
enough for production use.

Alex
David R. (Guest)
> So far, as far as I can tell, there is no Ruby IDE with GUI
> capabilities.... so I'm curious if
> any one knows of any current project underway to make a new Ruby IDE
> with GUI capabilities???

It isn't an IDE, but for another choice of graphical tool that
can help to build a GUI for a ruby application, see foxGUIb at
http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/

It has the advantage of being written in ruby and using the
same library that it targets, ie FXruby.

Incidentally, this thread roughly replicates the one titled
"Ruby GUI with IDE" dated mid-November 2006 - there may be
material of interest there too.
unknown (Guest)
Quoting David R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> It has the advantage of being written in ruby and using the
> same library that it targets, ie FXruby.
>
> Incidentally, this thread roughly replicates the one titled
> "Ruby GUI with IDE" dated mid-November 2006 - there may be
> material of interest there too.
To further duplicate previous threads, there are two Ruby IDEs written
using the
Fox toolkit -- FreeRide and Mondrian. FreeRide is at least stable enough
to be a
part of the Windows One-Click Installer.
Kevin O. (Guest)
What about Qt? I
know that KDevelop supports ruby and has a designer in it, but are
there any other projects out there that integrate Qtdesigner that
support ruby?
unknown (Guest)
Quoting Kevin O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> What about Qt? I
> know that KDevelop supports ruby and has a designer in it, but are
> there any other projects out there that integrate Qtdesigner that
> support ruby?
Well ... QTRuby/Korundum/Kommander do. Right now, that's all Qt-3, but
stable as
all get out. And Linux only. There's no Open Source Qt-3 for Windows;
all this
magic needs to work for QT-4 before you'll be able to get Windows
compatibility, and I have no clues whatsoever about Macs. My advice --
if
you're willing to limit yourself to Linux, it's a keeper. Otherwise,
there are
probably better ways to go.
David V. (Guest)
> What I want to understand is: How can there be Gambas and yet Ruby
> lacks a GUI interface?

I resent that comment and any moaning to garner attention to a problem.
Noone's forcing you to use Ruby for GUI development, if you find the
(apparent?) lack of an IDE problematic, use a language where it's
available. If you honestly want to find out if there is a solution you
missed, ask -that- and don't troll for the answer.

David V.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
> Quoting Kevin O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>

>> What about Qt? I
>> know that KDevelop supports ruby and has a designer in it, but are
>> there any other projects out there that integrate Qtdesigner that
>> support ruby?
>>
> Well ... QTRuby/Korundum/Kommander do. Right now, that's all Qt-3, but stable as
> all get out.
And well-documented, thanks to Caleb T.. :)
> My advice -- if
> you're willing to limit yourself to Linux, it's a keeper. Otherwise, there are
> probably better ways to go.

There's one other thing I should mention. There are two ways to use Qt,
and they are mutually exclusive by the Trolltech license. So you pretty
much have to have your business and legal model defined up front -- if
you're going to start an open source project, you may not be able to
convert it to something else later, and vice versa.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.