Forum: Ruby on Rails Is it possible to have an image based button with DYNAMIC te

Greg H. (Guest)

I wanted to move to more web 2.0 style buttons (i.e. images created in
photoshop) but I'm not sure how to keep the flexibility of the button
text?
Currently I have text in properties, for multiple languages (i.e. one
file
per language).  This makes it easy in terms of changing language
currently.
Having to create specific image buttons manually for each set of text,
for
each language, each time I wanted to adjust the text, obviously isn't
sounding great.

Does anyone know the answer to any of these questions:

   1. Are there any tricks re maintaining the flexibility of displaying
   text from this respect, but with the look and feel of web 2.0 type
   images?

   2. Is it possible to have dynamic text displayed within an
imagesomehow perhaps?

   3. What about via slicing up a web 2.0 type of button style into
   top/button & corners so that it is possible to create what looks like
   a web 2.0 button using DIV techniques (like when one creates a
rounded
   square to keep a variable length amount of text in), and then having
the
   text appear within this?

   4. Other ideas?

Thanks
Greg
Todd S. (Guest)
> 4. Other Ideas?

http://dojotoolkit.org/dojo/tests/widget/test_Button.html

But I'm not so sure you want to drag another Javascript framework into
it.
Greg H. (Guest)
tks - this seems to the HTML 4.0 "Button" as it's basis.  Do you know
if:
a) does Rails, Prototype or Scriptaculus support the same thing?
b) any general browser compatibility issues re relying on HTML 4.0
"Button"?
c) is this the only way to allow dynamic text to be represented within
an
image for a browser?

Tks again
Andrew S. (Guest)
> Is it possible to have dynamic text displayed within an image
> somehow perhaps?

Take a look at:

http://nubyonrails.com/articles/2006/12/18/dynamic...
rails-1-2

Regards,
Andy S.
Greg H. (Guest)
tks Andrew,

I think I'm still more interested in discovering if (and how) to
implement a
dynamic text within a stylized button via HTML/CSS/Javascript if there
is a
standard way to do this.

If anyone has any pointers re this (i.e. HTML/CSS/javascript mechanism)
I'd
be very interested to hear details re the approach.

Greg