Forum: Ruby Ruby Cookbook review

Peter S. (Guest)
Hello,

A few days ago there was a request for the review of the RC. I guess I
am kind of late to the party, but since I promised I will post it here
when I am ready, here we go:

http://www.rubyrailways.com/book-review-ruby-cookbook/

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com
Richard C. (Guest)
On 12/21/06, Peter S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few days ago there was a request for the review of the RC. I guess I
> am kind of late to the party, but since I promised I will post it here
> when I am ready, here we go:
>
> http://www.rubyrailways.com/book-review-ruby-cookbook/

That was me Peter. Good write up too. I liked how you factored in
the other A-list Ruby books, and in particular where you described
the niche for Ruby Cookbook right here:

"After reading these books I wanted to jump into writing some cool
stuff - Ruby seemed to be so elegant, easy, succinct - and to my
greatest surprise, I could not write too much sensible code :-) (at
least not without referring to these books and/or google and/or
ruby-talk more frequently that I considered o.k. to call it
programming on my own)."

This pretty much captured my mindset - "I like this Ruby thing, but now
I want
to *Do Stuff*".

Excellent in-depth review. The depth matters in the context of this
book I think,
more-so than many of the general books.
Peter S. (Guest)
Richard C. wrote:
> That was me Peter. Good write up too. I liked how you factored in
> This pretty much captured my mindset - "I like this Ruby thing, but now
> I want
> to *Do Stuff*".
>
> Excellent in-depth review. The depth matters in the context of this
> book I think,
> more-so than many of the general books.

I am glad you liked it. The biggest problem for me with book reviews
(and blog posts in general) is to keep them short (I absolutely
understand why pascal wrote "I would have written a shorter letter, but
I did not have the time.") since a lot of readers are whining about the
length (OK, sometimes with reason :-) I have never ever heard anybody
complaining about the shortness, though :-) On the other hand, not
everything can be said in a short post. In this case I really had to
restrain myself since the cookbook has so much more goodies that I did
not even mention...

Cheers,
Peter

__