Forum: Ruby on Rails AMD64 + Debain + rails + Oracle ?

Bealach Na Bo (Guest)
Hi folks,

Does anyone know how to install the OCI8 ruby interface on Debian64
without having to install Oracle?

My understanding, from experience with Debian i386, is that you need
Oracle (specifically the SQLPlus) installed to be able to compile
OCI8. Since my new dev machine is AMD64 running Debian, I'm stuck.
My rails applications need to connect to a remote Oracle 10g, but
cannot since I can't install OCI8 and I can't install SQLPlus since I
can't install Oracle on AMD64! "Chicken and egg"?

Bealach
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 6/12/06, Bealach Na Bo <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> can't install Oracle on AMD64! "Chicken and egg"?

Your best bet is probably the Oracle Instant Client.
Also, just in case you haven't seen this..
http://linux.togaware.com/survivor/Oracle_10g.html
..that's a pretty nice writeup about Oracle on 64bit Debian.
Bealach Na Bo (Guest)
Thanks very much Wilson. I should have read the README for the
ruby-oci package! Anyhow, I've got a lot further, thanks to you, but
I'm not quite there.

I've got the instant client working and run SQLPlus queries
I've compiled and installed the OCI8 ruby libraries without errors
But, when I run

irb> require 'oci8'
LoadError: libclntsh.so.10.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory -
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/oci8lib.so
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/oci8lib.so
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:7
        from (irb):2:in `require'
        from (irb):2

which makes no sense whatever since,

home$ ls /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/oci8lib.so
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/oci8lib.so

Any more good ideas would be most welcome.

Bealach
Bealach Na Bo (Guest)
Got it to work now. Had forgotten to export my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thanks again for your help,

Bealach