Forum: Ruby on Rails Finding a record and showing it -- how?

joshi (Guest)
on 2006-06-11 21:47
I'd like to prompt a user for the value of a Name field, then display
the record. Rails tells me that it cannot do a find without an ID. I
guess it must be that I'm not passing back properly the data from the
view to the controller.
Thanks for the help
joshi

The find_user.rhtml view:

  <fieldset>
    <legend>Enter User Name</legend>
    <%= start_form_tag %>
        <label for="name">Name:</label>
        <%= text_field_tag :name, params[:name] %>
        <%= submit_tag "Find", :class => "submit" %>
    <%= end_form_tag %>
  </fieldset>

The find_user action in user_controller.rb

def find_user
  user = User.find_by_name(params[:name])
  if user
    redirect_to(:controller => "user", :action => "show")
  else
    flash[:notice] = "Unable to find user name"
Jón B. (Guest)
You are redirecting to the show action without passing on the ID you
found.
redirect_to(:controller => "user", :action => "show", :id => user.id)

On 6/11/06, joshi <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>   <fieldset>
>   </fieldset>
>   end
> end
>
> --

joshi (Guest)
on 2006-06-12 07:58
Jón Borgþórsson wrote:
> You are redirecting to the show action without passing on the ID you
> found.
> redirect_to(:controller => "user", :action => "show", :id => user.id)
>

> On 6/11/06, joshi <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>   <fieldset>
>>   </fieldset>
>>   end
>> end
>>
>> --
>>

> --

That fixed the problem. Thank you so much!