Forum: Ruby on Rails Best Practices for Shared Models?

Donald B. (Guest)
on 2006-06-10 22:10
What's the best practice for having multiple ruby apps sharing the same
set of models? Are people just doing file system sym links or copying,
or is there an elegant little hook I don't know about that lets you tell
the apps to look in a different location other than app/models?
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Jun 10, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Donald B. wrote:

> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Hey Donald-

	There are a few ways to do what you're talking about. One of them is
symlinks like you mentioned which can be ok on a small scale but can
become unruly to manage. The better way to do it IMHO is with
svn:externals. You can create a small repo for just the shared models
or other assets and then link them into any app that uses them with
svn externals.

	Or you could make a plugin out of that set of models as plugins can
have models. And then you can install the plugin in each app that
uses it and keep them up to date with svn.

Cheers-
-Ezra