Forum: Ruby on Rails regex help

Nicholas P. Mueller (Guest)
I am trying to write a model validates_format_of that will accept a
field containing only certain characters.  I want the field to only
allow the following characters:

a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and the '_', '@', '.' and '-' characters.

I have hunted around a bit and came up with this:

validates_format_of :password, :with => /^([a-zA-Z0-9.\-_@])+
$/, :message => "illegal."

Is that correct?  I tested it a bunch, but I want to ask the
community to be sure.

Thanks,

Nicholas P. Mueller
Wuher (Guest)
I'm hardly an expert, but it looks good to me.  I like to test my regex
using
this website:  http://www.cuneytyilmaz.com/prog/jrx/  Just paste in your
regex without the leading and trailing / marks, and then you can test
input
using the bottom box.  It's fun =D

HTH, Ryan
On Jun 9, 2006, at 5:04 PM, Nicholas P. Mueller wrote:

> Is that correct?  I tested it a bunch, but I want to ask the
> community to be sure.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nicholas P. Mueller

	I think that looks good for what you want. You can shorten it a bit
if you like though ;)

-Ezra