Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails "pasteboard"?

Andre T. (Guest)
Hello all, I'm looking to setup a simple network "pasteboard" for files
within my organization, to circumvent people trying to email 50 meg
files
and me being unwilling to open up our mail server for massive email
transfers.

I've seen the pasteboard idea elsewhere where you can go and paste code
or
log files or whatever, and then they just fall off an hour or a day
later.
Has anyone done this already with Rails? It seems like a pretty simple
little app to write up, but I just wanted to ask first.

One thing that might be tricky is making sure the application continues
operate while largish (700 MB? over a gig?) files are transferred into
the
pasteboard.

thanks for everything List!
-Andre
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2006-06-10 00:24
Andre,

Have you looked into using a CMS at all?

- Robert D.
  http://www.techcfl.com
Jón B. (Guest)
On 6/9/06, Andre T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> One thing that might be tricky is making sure the application continues to
> operate while largish (700 MB? over a gig?) files are transferred into the
> pasteboard.

That shouldn't be a problem. No difference on it being 10mb or 1000mb.
It's just data written to the file system.

Andre T. (Guest)
Yup, I'm currently using drupal 4.7.0. and in a way it's kinda dumb to
try
tying Rails into the mix on a apache/php/mysql only server at the
moment.
it's just that nothing jumped out at me within the drupal "arena". there
is
a file upload module and I spose with a little bit of database code I
could
have items fall off into the nether after a period of time...
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov (Guest)

Have you tried http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/parkplace ?
--
Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to
me at julik.nl
Philip H. (Guest)
> On 6/9/06, Andre T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> One thing that might be tricky is making sure the application continues to
>> operate while largish (700 MB? over a gig?) files are transferred into the
>> pasteboard.
>
> That shouldn't be a problem. No difference on it being 10mb or 1000mb.
> It's just data written to the file system.

Just watch the timeouts and max post size stuff... I know that PHP has
several configuration options you're going to hit at that level (well,
*way* below that level).

If it's within your organization why wouldn't a network share in which
you
automatically remove old files work just as well?  Unless there are
privacy issues...

-philip