Forum: Ruby on Rails Connecting to SQL Server 2000 database - errors

Harry (Guest)
on 2006-06-09 21:50
I just started investigating Ruby on Rails and am trying the tutorial.
I need to connect to a SQL Server 2000 database for testing purposes.  I
followed the instructions in the How-To on the wiki for SQL Server.  The
problem is that when attempting to connect to the database I receive the
following errors:

DBI::DatabaseError in RecipeController#new
Open
    OLE error code:80004005 in Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
      [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist
or access denied.
    HRESULT error code:0x80020009
      Exception occurred.
RAILS_ROOT: ./script/../config/..

I have done a search on google and have not found anything relevant that
will help me alleviate this error.

I would really like to get this running and see if Ruby on Rails could
be used to replace my current web site written in HTML/PHP/Javascript.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Harry
Roland M. (Guest)
on 2006-06-09 21:57
Hello Harry,

I posted some notes I took when I set up the MSDE 2000 on my blog:

http://www.llafe.com/articles/2006/05/29/sql-serve...

I hope you find the right configuration there.

The most common error is related to the database.yml. In it change the
host from localhost to (local).

Roland
Harry (Guest)
on 2006-06-09 22:23
Roland M. wrote:
> Hello Harry,
>
> I posted some notes I took when I set up the MSDE 2000 on my blog:
>
> http://www.llafe.com/articles/2006/05/29/sql-serve...
>
> I hope you find the right configuration there.
>
> The most common error is related to the database.yml. In it change the
> host from localhost to (local).
>
> Roland

Thanks Roland, I looked at your blog and neither example there worked
for me.  I am running on an XP Professional machine with the SQL Server
2000 on a Windows Server 2000 machine, not on my local machine.  Below
is the configuration in my yml file.

  adapter: sqlserver
  database: cookbook
  username: sa
  password:trustm3
  host: tpagpssql00
Jin L. (Guest)
I have the exact same setup as you rails on XP and SQL Server 2000 on
Win
2000. If you've followed the steps to install ADO.rb, it should work. In
my
scenario, I have both computers in the same domain, how is your setup?

Jin
Harry (Guest)
on 2006-06-09 23:54
Jin L. wrote:
> I have the exact same setup as you rails on XP and SQL Server 2000 on
> Win
> 2000. If you've followed the steps to install ADO.rb, it should work. In
> my
> scenario, I have both computers in the same domain, how is your setup?
>
> Jin

Yes, both computers in the same domain.  I can connect to the SQL
database using Enterprise manager with the same login information but
unable to connect using ROR.
Laurence L. (Guest)
on 2006-06-10 00:13
Are you sure you have the TCP/IP listener turned on (Does port 1433 show
up as "LISTENING" when you do a "netstat -na") ?

It could be that only the Named Pipes channel is active, and the TCP/IP
channel is disabled.