Forum: Ruby on Rails Is there an official CVS library? And, where would I put it

Duane M. (Guest)
on 2006-06-08 23:15
Two questions.  First, I'm wondering if there's a library already
written that will enable Ruby to interface with CVS.  I did find one
(cvs.m17n.org/~akr/ruby-cvs/) but it's unclear to me if that is still
maintained.  Some download links are broken and it seems to be at
version 0.2.  That's why I ask if there's an "official" one?  Is that
it?

Second, if I want to add a ruby library to my rails application so that
I don't have to worry if the destination server has it, where do I put
it?  Do I just unpack it in <rails-app>/lib?  I notice there's nothing
in /lib for me now so not really sure if I'm understanding it right.

Thanks!
Duane M. (Guest)
on 2006-06-08 23:29
Duane M. wrote:
> Two questions.  First, I'm wondering if there's a library already
> written that will enable Ruby to interface with CVS.  I did find one
> (cvs.m17n.org/~akr/ruby-cvs/) but it's unclear to me if that is still
> maintained.  Some download links are broken and it seems to be at
> version 0.2.  That's why I ask if there's an "official" one?  Is that
> it?
>
> Second, if I want to add a ruby library to my rails application so that
> I don't have to worry if the destination server has it, where do I put
> it?  Do I just unpack it in <rails-app>/lib?  I notice there's nothing
> in /lib for me now so not really sure if I'm understanding it right.
>
> Thanks!

Following up to my own question.  I see that "/vendor" is the better
place for external libraries.  Also, the ruby-cvs package has its own
/lib directory.  So if I copy/link those files into the /vendor area it
appears to work!  Now the only question si whether this library is still
maintained, or if there is a better choice out there.