Forum: Ruby on Rails LoginEngine: undefined method `generate_security_token'

dave dumaresq (Guest)
on 2006-06-08 19:34
Hi there,

I'm trying to set up LoginEngine with Rails 1.1.2 on Ruby 1.8.4 on a
Windows XP box and the log is reporting:

undefined method `generate_security_token' for #<User:0x39436a0>
Rendering user/signup
Rendered user/_edit (0.01600)
Rendered user/_password (0.01600)

Rails appears to be failing on  key = @user.generate_security_token in
user_controller.rb in the signup method. The offending block is:

        if @user.save
          key = @user.generate_security_token
          url = url_for(:action => 'home', :user_id => @user.id, :key =>
key)
          flash[:notice] = 'Signup successful!'
          if LoginEngine.config(:use_email_notification) and
LoginEngine.config(:confirm_account)
            UserNotify.deliver_signup(@user, params[:user][:password],
url)
            flash[:notice] << ' Please check your registered email
account to verify your account registration and continue with the
login.'
          else
            flash[:notice] << ' Please log in.'
          end
          redirect_to :action => 'login'
        end

Initially, I also had undefined method errors for password and
new_password for #<User...>, so I added these fields to the user table.
It seems like the LoginEngine was not correctly installed or at least
the migration 001_initial_schema was incomplete. I can work around with
that, however, this error truly seems like a missing method.

This is my first experience installing an engine. Any help is
appreciated!

Dave
James A. (Guest)
Do you have an existing User model in your application? If so, you
need to include the AuthenticatedUser model in it, as per the docs...

- james
dave dumaresq (Guest)
on 2006-06-09 06:10
James A. wrote:
> Do you have an existing User model in your application? If so, you
> need to include the AuthenticatedUser model in it, as per the docs...
>
> - james

Thanks James, that's got it!
Btw, I've gone back and looked at the README docs and honestly don't see
anything about including AuthenticatedUser.

Dave
I'm not a complete idiot, some pieces are missing.