Forum: GNU Radio Re:Real Data only Transfer?

Kilian Timmler (Guest)
Ouch!

This sounds like some of those previous threads.

>Why do you want 16MS/sec real instead of 8MS/sec complex?
>
>Eric

I didn't want to go there, the part I was worried about is to have no
processing
since the CIC filter has some unpleasant properties (not very flat,
aliasing at the borders).

>From my point of view the PC is much more accessible than the FPGA. To get an
understanding of the algorithms I don't have to try to read
someones Verilog code, and to change any algorithms I don't have to
write Verilog. On the other hand the PC should be quite capable
in handling most signal processing tasks.

I'm generally interested in working with FPGAs but I don't have a logic
analyzer, so that actual experiments might be cumbersome.

Anyway, I saw today that there is an fpga version with a halfband filter
now, very nice.

If you look at the analog part of the two alternatives, I must admit,
that if you keep the input bandwidth the same (8MHz), analog filter
requirements would be quite relaxed with the normal usrp.

Well, well I think I should just stay with what I've got for now.

Regards,

Kilian

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 07:04:00PM +0200, Kilian Timmler wrote:
> Ouch!
>
> This sounds like some of those previous threads.
>
> >Why do you want 16MS/sec real instead of 8MS/sec complex?
> >
> >Eric
>
> I didn't want to go there, the part I was worried about is to have no processing
> since the CIC filter has some unpleasant properties (not very flat, aliasing at the
borders).

The final stage of the 8MS/sec path is run through a halfband filter
and thus is pretty flat.  That is, the final decimation-by-two is
performed using a 31-tap halfband, not a CIC.

> From my point of view the PC is much more accessible than the
> FPGA. To get an understanding of the algorithms I don't have to try
> to read someones Verilog code, and to change any algorithms I don't
> have to write Verilog. On the other hand the PC should be quite
> capable in handling most signal processing tasks.

Yep.

> I'm generally interested in working with FPGAs but I don't have a
> logic analyzer, so that actual experiments might be cumbersome.

Simulation goes a long way.  Or just "get it right" the first time ;)
See also icarus verilog.

> Anyway, I saw today that there is an fpga version with a halfband
> filter now, very nice.

Eric