Forum: Radiant CMS Commenting

Bruce W. (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm currently converting my website (codefluency.com) from Typo to
Radiant (radiant version at http://new.codefluency.com); I've needed
to use a full CMS for some time now to help document and manage a
number of projects, and Radiant seems to fit the bill nicely.

>From the Radiant weblog (and from my experiences thus far) I can see
that Radiant can be a great system for blogging (which would still be
a portion of my content), and I know that adding commenting is
somewhere on the roadmap.  Commenting is really important to me, and
I'd prefer not to have to use a 3rd party solution like haloscan for a
few reasons (traffic statistics issues, backups, etc).

I was just wondering a few things.
1. Has anyone already started working on commenting?
2. If not, do you have any ideas on how it would best implemented in
Radiant? (via a behavior & a new model w/ an association to Page, for
instance?)

The reason I'm asking this is that I probably will cave in and start
building something at some point in the future in the event no one's
working on it (#1), and as I'm fairly new to Radiant (though certainly
not Rails), I could definitely use a hint as the best road to go down
(#2).

Cheers,
Bruce
Rodney R. (Guest)
Hi Bruce,

I've started work on a forum behavior , not commenting per see
but the two ideas could be merged.

It's pretty simple, I'm using Tobias' Opinion as an example. I was
actually distracted by how to package it up. At the moment there's
a bunch of models, a controller etc. I've set it up plugin style like
the gallery behavior.

I think route #2 sounds like the way to go, although you could make it
a full  Blog behavior and add has_many :comments with a corresponding
model. Or is that what you meant ?

rodney

--
Rodney
http://www.pinupgeek.com
> Hi Bruce,
>
> I've started work on a forum behavior , not commenting per see
> but the two ideas could be merged.
>
> It's pretty simple, I'm using Tobias' Opinion as an example. I was
> actually distracted by how to package it up. At the moment there's
> a bunch of models, a controller etc. I've set it up plugin style like
> the gallery behavior.

Hi Rodney, I'll suggest take a look at RailMail
http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/rail_mail

That actually hook controller and models to the load path.

For the admin side, we will need some sort of register (like
Behaviors) on the controllers that will be available as tabs for the
admins... what do you think?

Regards,

--
Luis L.
Multimedia systems

so you want a Mail tab in Radiant an basically build a behavior
that works with RailsMail ?

not sure how this relates to commenting/forum behavior though :-)

but i'm a radiant newbie , so you'll probably forgive my ignorance

/r/r

On 6/7/06, Luis L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Regards,
> Radiant mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Rodney
http://www.pinupgeek.com
http://www.dutchrailers.org
Luis L. (Guest)
> hi, i'm looking at railsmail tnx !
>
> so you want a Mail tab in Radiant an basically build a behavior
> that works with RailsMail ?
>
> not sure how this relates to commenting/forum behavior though :-)

With that I was suggesting how to provide a "extension" or plugin to
be laoded by raisl and that extend radiant.

RailMail was a example, inside it you could see how it "extend" the
paths to include the models, controllers and views inside the plugin.

--
Luis L.
Multimedia systems
Bruce W. wrote:
> few reasons (traffic statistics issues, backups, etc).
> not Rails), I could definitely use a hint as the best road to go down
> (#2).

Bruce e-mailed me off list about this and we have been discussing adding
a comments system to Radiant. It sounds like he's interested in
implementing it, so it may make it into the mix a head of schedule.

--
John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com