Forum: Ruby on Rails Mac OSX

Roger Knott (Guest)
I havew installed Ruby and gems on Mac OSX but when i try ti install
Rails i get messages
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
syntax error on line 23, col 0: `<p>'

Can anyone advise as to reason ? I an using OS 10.4

Roger
Claus G. (Guest)
> I havew installed Ruby and gems on Mac OSX but when i try ti install Rails i
> get messages
> Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> syntax error on line 23, col 0: `<p>'
>
> Can anyone advise as to reason ? I an using OS 10.4

Probably due to your PATH. I've written my own howto at
http://cguttesen.blogspot.com/2006/03/installing-r...

hth
Claus
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hey Roger, I was able to install the ruby and rails with success using
the
following:

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

Peace,

-Conrad
Bryan L. (Guest)
On Jun 6, 2006, at 4:59 AM, Roger Knott wrote:

> I havew installed Ruby and gems on Mac OSX but when i try ti
> install Rails i get messages
> Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> syntax error on line 23, col 0: `<p>'
>
> Can anyone advise as to reason ? I an using OS 10.4

Its pretty screwy on Mac OS X 10.4, so I chose to use Locomotive:

http://locomotive.raaum.org/
Jón B. (Guest)
Is everyone really having troube with this????

Install Xcode Developer Tools 2.2

Install darwin ports from
http://darwinports.org/downloads/DarwinPorts-1.2.1-10.4.dmg.

Then type in the commands

sudo port selfupdate
sudo port install ruby
sudo port install rb-rubygems
sudo port install rb-rake
sudo gem install rails

Then I just have to create the file /Users/jgb/.profile and add the
line:
  export PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH

Set this up on 3 macs with the latest OS X without a problem.

On 6/7/06, Bryan L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)

unknown (Guest)
> sudo port selfupdate
> sudo port install ruby
> sudo port install rb-rubygems
> sudo port install rb-rake
> sudo gem install rails
>
> Then I just have to create the file /Users/jgb/.profile and add the line:
>   export PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH
>
> Set this up on 3 macs with the latest OS X without a problem.

you might want to install rake via gem rather than darwinports which is
still serving up version 0.4.15 - looks like a few things were fixed
since
then =)
    http://rake.rubyforge.org/files/CHANGES.html

james duncan davidson's article has some interesting
commentary/recommendations on which items to install via darwinports and
which via gem:
    http://duncandavidson.com/essay/2006/04/portsandbox