Forum: Ruby Bzipping a file from ruby

Edgardo H. (Guest)

Is there a way to bzip2 a file from Ruby without invoking the unix
app? I want to create a bzipped tarball without using any external
programs so my app can run using anything but plain ol' Ruby. I'm
already using archive-tar-minitar to create the tarball but now I need
a way to compress it.

Thanks,
Ed
Aredridel (Guest)
On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 11:33 +0900, Edgardo H. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to bzip2 a file from Ruby without invoking the unix
> app? I want to create a bzipped tarball without using any external
> programs so my app can run using anything but plain ol' Ruby. I'm
> already using archive-tar-minitar to create the tarball but now I need
> a way to compress it.

I don't know of any pure ruby implementations of the bzip2 algorithm. I
suspect that if there's any libraries out there, they'd bind libbz2...
at which point it's also not pure ruby.

Aria
Alder G. (Guest)
On 6/6/06, Aredridel <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> suspect that if there's any libraries out there, they'd bind libbz2...
> at which point it's also not pure ruby.
>
> Aria

Yup. I was looking for such a thing myself, and only found bz2[1]. In
fact, that library seems to be the only way of utilizing BZip2 from
Ruby currently; at least there are no other listed in the
Library/Compression category of RAA [2].

Right now, I'm using the gzip algorithm instead, which you don't even
need a gem for (part of core). It would be nice to see pure-ruby
implementations of the more advanced algorithms out there (bzip2,
7-zip).

--
-Alder

[1] http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/bz2/