Forum: Ruby on Rails PHP FTP functions equivalents?

Gabor Demeter (Guest)
on 2006-06-06 04:27
Two questions from a PHP guy thinking of moving to Rails:

1. Does Rails have equivalents for PHP's FTP functions
(www.php.net/ftp)?

2. What about image editing functions similar to PHP's GD2 functions? (I
would basically want to be able to crop, rotate, draw lines, add
text...)

I searched online for the above but I got somewhat conflicting info
about image editing and almost no info on FTP functions. I thought this
would be the best place to ask for help, as the applications I'm about
to start working on will need both items mentioned and I won't be able
to use RoR if there are no image editing and/or ftp features.

Many thanks,

Gabor
David F. (Guest)
The capabilities you're asking for are available as Ruby libraries/gems:

Check out Net::FTP (part of the ruby std lib) -
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/net/ftp/rdoc...

For image manipulation, check out RMagick:
http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/

Good luck!

-DF
Jón B. (Guest)
Also worth checking is the psitsNOT engine.
http://svn.openprofile.net/plugins/p_sitsnot_engine/README
Basically a plugin extracted from this site.
http://psitsnot.alevans.com/

Should help you so you get image manipulaton up in 14,7 sec.

--
Bill (Guest)
on 2006-06-06 05:33
Gabor Demeter wrote:
> Two questions from a PHP guy thinking of moving to Rails:
>
> 1. Does Rails have equivalents for PHP's FTP functions
> (www.php.net/ftp)?

I asked a question below on being able to send/receive files in response
to an http request and haven't heard anything from the group yet.  I'm
guessing that this is not essential to setting up a web site for most
people.

However, it seems that this is built into Ruby.  Look at the Pickaxe
book for Net::http and ftp.

Bill
Jim C. (Guest)
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:27:11AM +0200, Gabor Demeter wrote:
> 1. Does Rails have equivalents for PHP's FTP functions
> (www.php.net/ftp)?

Rails is "just" a framework; you should compare PHP with Ruby, not with
Rails.

Therefore, when you're looking for extensions, look for Ruby ones;
putting "rails" in your google searches will reduce the set of answers
significantly.

-jim