Forum: Ferret Ferret Win32 Gem for windows users ...

Neville B. (Guest)
Hi and thanks for Ferret!

I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a Ferret Win32 gem which
includes the c performance code pre-compiled for those of us without a C
compiler handy ?

Zed S. seems to have cracked this particular nut with his Mongrel
Win32 gem.

Alternately, is there a zip of the Win32 .so Ferret needs that I could
download and manually install?

Kind Regards

Neville B.
David B. (Guest)
On 6/5/06, Neville B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Hi and thanks for Ferret!
>
> I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a Ferret Win32 gem which
> includes the c performance code pre-compiled for those of us without a C
> compiler handy ?

Unfortunately not yet. Alex Y. may be working on it. The problem is
that Ferret currently doesn't compile under Visual C 6 so there is
some porting that needs to be done. I've started an experimental
version of Ferret fresh (with non-lucene-compatible changes) and am
compiling it under VC6 as I go so once that is finished there will
definitely be a windows version of Ferret. This could take a while.
Also, the Lucy project will definitely be designed to work under VC6
so a windows version of Ferret is coming. It's just hard to say when.
Alex Y. (Guest)
David B. wrote:

> Unfortunately not yet. Alex Y. may be working on it. The problem is
> that Ferret currently doesn't compile under Visual C 6 so there is
> some porting that needs to be done.

Indeed I am.  Or shall be this week.  I'll be trying for something on
Friday at the latest, but I can't promise that what I come up with will
be useful to anyone but me...  I will report back either way, though.

--
Alex
Alex Y. (Guest)
Alex Y. wrote:
>> Unfortunately not yet. Alex Y. may be working on it. The problem is
>> that Ferret currently doesn't compile under Visual C 6 so there is
>> some porting that needs to be done.
>
> Indeed I am.  Or shall be this week.  I'll be trying for something on
> Friday at the latest, but I can't promise that what I come up with will
> be useful to anyone but me...  I will report back either way, though.

Bah.  Last week ran away with me, and I didn't get a chance to finish
off what I was doing in the end.  Watch this space...
Anatol P. (Guest)
on 2006-06-13 16:50
Alex Y. wrote:
> Alex Y. wrote:
>>> Unfortunately not yet. Alex Y. may be working on it. The problem is
>>> that Ferret currently doesn't compile under Visual C 6 so there is
>>> some porting that needs to be done.
>>
>> Indeed I am.  Or shall be this week.  I'll be trying for something on
>> Friday at the latest, but I can't promise that what I come up with will
>> be useful to anyone but me...  I will report back either way, though.
>>
> Bah.  Last week ran away with me, and I didn't get a chance to finish
> off what I was doing in the end.  Watch this space...

Probably compiling using MinGW would be choise?? AFAIK it is much more
compatible with gcc (it uses ported gcc). I am not sure how it would
work with ruby-core that compiled using MSVC, but.. have a try...
Alex Y. (Guest)
Anatol P. wrote:
>>>be useful to anyone but me...  I will report back either way, though.
>>>

>>Bah.  Last week ran away with me, and I didn't get a chance to finish
>>off what I was doing in the end.  Watch this space...
>

> Probably compiling using MinGW would be choise?? AFAIK it is much more
> compatible with gcc (it uses ported gcc). I am not sure how it would
> work with ruby-core that compiled using MSVC, but.. have a try...

That's the problem - Ferret compiled under MinGW isn't compatible with
the OCI ruby.

As it stands, I'm recompiling ruby under MinGW, and then attacking the
extensions.  The medium-term goal is to be able to give some pointers to
Curt H. et al (should they need them - I'm sure they've got it in
hand) to be able to replace the MSVC build with a MinGW build in the
One-Click Installer.
Anatol P. (Guest)
on 2006-06-29 08:10
+1 I always wander why for Ruby used NSVC and not MinGW. MinGW much
better for multiplatform apps. i.e. Postgres project uses MinGW for
building Windows version of its product - and they have no problem. Why
Ruby community stucked on MSVC then??