Forum: Ruby RMagick 1.12.0

Timothy H. (Guest)
I've just uploaded RMagick 1.12.0 to RubyForge. This version fixes an
API incompatibility with the Image#level method that I introduced in
version 1.11.0. Thanks to Al Evans for reporting it and helping me find
a fix.

If you plan on installing this version with RubyGems please read the
Release Notes (http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=5551)
before installing this release.

If you're using a web hosting service and it has a very old version of
RMagick installed, please consider asking your service provider to
upgrade. I've fixed several memory leaks in recent releases so if you're
running into memory usage problems with your web app upgrading could
really pay off.

RMagick is available as always from RubyForge:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/.

RMagick is an interface to the ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org) and
GraphicsMagick (www.graphicsmagick.org) image processing libraries.
RMagick supports more than 90 image formats, including GIF, JPEG, PNG.
It includes RVG, a 2D drawing API. RMagick comes with comprehensive HTML
documentation.
Robert MannI (Guest)
Awesome, thanks a lot
Aredridel (Guest)
> If you're using a web hosting service and it has a very old version of
> RMagick installed, please consider asking your service provider to
> upgrade. I've fixed several memory leaks in recent releases so if you're
> running into memory usage problems with your web app upgrading could
> really pay off.

Thank you for that. Fixed our memory usage problems that I was just in
the process of narrowing down to the library. Beat me to the punch!

Aria
Timothy H. (Guest)
Aredridel wrote:
> Aria

That's good news! I ran all my tests with valgrind
(http://valgrind.org/) and they're coming up clean. If you think you're
having a problem with a memory leak in RMagick give me a shout and we'll
work on it.
Timo H. (Guest)

I'm having a problem with RMagick. Somehow "number_scenes" stopped
working for me.

Background: I'm on a Mac and mainly use Locomotive, a self-contained
ruby/rails installation, which basically relies on binaries built
using darwinports, a packet manager which builds from source.

When using an older Locomotive version on PPC, I get the expected
results:

 >> ::Magick::Image.read("/Users/admin/a.pdf").size
=> 5
 >> ::Magick::Image.read("/Users/admin/a.pdf")
{self.number_scenes=1}.size
=> 1

This older version uses ImageMagick 6.2.4 and RMagick 1.9.3.

A newer version of Locomotive uses ImageMagick 6.2.6 and RMagick
1.10.1. Here I get broken behaviour:

 >> ::Magick::Image.read("images/a.pdf").size
=> 5
 >> ::Magick::Image.read("images/a.pdf"){self.number_scenes=1}.size
=> 5

I did a fresh install of Ruby 1.8.4, ImageMagick 6.2.7-5 and RMagick
1.12.0 using darwinports and could verify the same broken behaviour.

Maybe related: I got the following output during installation of the
native extensions of RMagick 1.12.0:

magick/cache.c:2385: failed assertion `cache_info->number_views != 0UL'

I'm totally clueless how I can furter investigate that problem. Any
hints?

Thanks,

Timo

Am 04.06.2006 um 20:34 schrieb Timothy H.:
Timothy H. (Guest)
Timo H. wrote:
> results:
>

> magick/cache.c:2385: failed assertion `cache_info->number_views != 0UL'
>
> I'm totally clueless how I can furter investigate that problem. Any
> hints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Timo

I reproduced this problem on my Powerbook. It looks like a problem with
ImageMagick. I've emailed the IM developers for help. If you open a bug
track in the RMagick project on RubyForge it'll help me track this
problem and keep in touch with you.
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=133&group_id=12...
Timo H. (Guest)
Am 28.06.2006 um 01:10 schrieb Timothy H.:

> track this problem and keep in touch with you.
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=133&group_id=12...

Forgot to mention, that I'm now on Intel. The test which showed the
expected behaviour was on PPC. Did you verify on Intel or PPC? (At
least I call my MacBook Pro still PowerBook sometimes...)

I just submited a Ticket.

Thanks for your immediate help!

Timo
Timo H. (Guest)
>>> I'm having a problem with RMagick. Somehow "number_scenes"
>>> stopped working for me.
>> I reproduced this problem on my Powerbook. It looks like a problem
>> with ImageMagick. I've emailed the IM developers for help. If you
>> open a bug track in the RMagick project on RubyForge it'll help me
>> track this problem and keep in touch with you.
>> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=133&group_id=12...
> Forgot to mention, that I'm now on Intel. The test which showed the
> expected behaviour was on PPC. Did you verify on Intel or PPC? (At
> least I call my MacBook Pro still PowerBook sometimes...)

Just tried it: Doesn't matter if it's on Intel or PPC.

Timo