Forum: Ruby on Rails directory structure on typo

Josh K. (Guest)
on 2006-06-04 17:21
i was looking through the typo code and see that all of the
administrative controllers and views are placed in another subfolder. i
tried just moving the files just for kicks and it didn't work (didin't
really expect it to, but it was worth a shot.)

so how do you set something up like that? i tried looking in the
routes.rb file, but i'im not sure what's in there that i would need and
what i wouldn't, plus i'm really trying to learn this and how things
work instead of just copying and pasting other people's code.
Michael T. (Guest)
When creating the controllers, etc... if you add the path information
it will be done for you.  So for example, if you type:

script\generate controller Admin/Account show

You will end up with a directory structure that has
/app/controllers/admin/account_controller.rb and
/app/views/admin/show.rhtml

Michael
Jón B. (Guest)
Also remember that if you create controllers like 'admin/user',
'admin/messages' you will not be able to create a controller called
just 'admin' as that will confuse rails. Instead you create a
controller like 'admin/base' and make a route to map site.com/admin to
site.com/admin/base

On 6/4/06, Michael T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Josh K. (Guest)
on 2006-06-04 17:46
Michael T. wrote:
> When creating the controllers, etc... if you add the path information
> it will be done for you.  So for example, if you type:
>
> script\generate controller Admin/Account show
>
> You will end up with a directory structure that has
> /app/controllers/admin/account_controller.rb and
> /app/views/admin/show.rhtml
>
> Michael

i didn't think about doing that when the controller was created. that's
prlly why mine wasn't working. thanks.
Josh K. (Guest)
on 2006-06-04 17:47
Jón Borgþórsson wrote:
> Also remember that if you create controllers like 'admin/user',
> 'admin/messages' you will not be able to create a controller called
> just 'admin' as that will confuse rails. Instead you create a
> controller like 'admin/base' and make a route to map site.com/admin to
> site.com/admin/base
>
> On 6/4/06, Michael T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>

> --

that probably would have been my next question. thanks for the help!