Forum: Ruby "numeric literal without digits" rake update_po error

Maxime C. (Guest)
on 2006-06-04 03:08
First off, I am using ruby 1.8.4 installed under Ubuntu Breezy Badger,
with ruby-gettext 1.5.0 installed as a gem.

I have found a weird behavior with rgettext parsing certain .rb files.
Whenever rgettext encounters a file containing an array whose first
element is being accessed in the code, I get the following error:
"numeric literal without digits"

For example, if I include the following code:
// test.rb
line
10     a = [1,2]
11     a[0]

and I run :
> rgettext test.rb

I get the following result

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# Copyright (C) YEAR THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER
# This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE
package.
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL@ADDRESS>, YEAR.
#
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2006-06-04 00:47+0200\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2006-06-04 00:47+0200\n"
"Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL@ADDRESS>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>\n"
"Plural-Forms: nplurals=INTEGER; plural=EXPRESSION;\n"
numeric literal without digits
Exit 1

If I remove that piece of code, it all runs smoothly.

Would anyone know what that error could be caused by ? Is there any way
to fix it ?
Masao M. (Guest)

Your problem is similer with this FAQ:
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/?ruby-gettext-faq#r....

Actually, your code works on my linux box.
% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-linux]

Confirm your ruby version again ?

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 08:08:33 +0900
Maxime C. (Guest)
on 2006-06-04 19:52
> Hi,
>
> Your problem is similer with this FAQ:

http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/?ruby-gettext-faq#r....

> Actually, your code works on my linux box.
> % ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-linux]
>
> Confirm your ruby version again ?

I am on ruby 1.8.4:
> ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [x86_64-linux]

I am on AMD64. Is this the problem ?
stuart yarus (Guest)
On 6/4/06, Maxime C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I am on ruby 1.8.4:
> > ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [x86_64-linux]
>
> I am on AMD64. Is this the problem ?

Maybe not.  Your code as posted works fine for me, and:

$ uname -a
Linux monarch 2.6.9-1.667smp #1 SMP Tue Nov 2 15:09:11 EST 2004 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [x86_64-linux]

and I'm using gettext (1.5.0)

Stuart
Maxime C. (Guest)
on 2006-06-05 02:51
I guess there must be something wrong with my configuration. The ruby
binary compiled for my distrib is probably at fault. I'll see in the
future if I have the same problem again.

Thanks for your help.