Forum: GNU Radio GNU Radio on a Windows XP system.

John C. (Guest)
I had some amount of difficulty getting an 'as is' linux box with an
arbitrary linux distribution setup to support GNU Radio.

Now someone has asked me about setting up a Windows demo
unit.

I've setup cross compiler environments using cygwin, but given the
problems that I had with 'old' distributions of linux, I am reluctant
to believe that Windows is any easier.

Has someone done this, and what packages, parent-packages,
sibling-packages, grand and gread-grand-packages, are required
to set things up.

Thanks
John C.
Eric B. (Guest)
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:23:31AM -0700, John C. wrote:
> I had some amount of difficulty getting an 'as is' linux box with an
> arbitrary linux distribution setup to support GNU Radio.

Hi John,

As we discussed before, if your "as is" environment was reasonably
up-to-date, I don't think you'd have had a problem on GNU/Linux.

> Now someone has asked me about setting up a Windows demo
> unit.

Good luck ;) We're not opposed to it working under Windows, but to
date we've seen almost no efforts by people who want it to run under
windows.  Unless there are developers who want it to work on that
platform and are willing to do some work on it, the situation will
probably remain the same.

> I've setup cross compiler environments using cygwin, but given the
> problems that I had with 'old' distributions of linux, I am reluctant
> to believe that Windows is any easier.
>
> Has someone done this, and what packages, parent-packages,
> sibling-packages, grand and gread-grand-packages, are required
> to set things up.
>
> Thanks
> John C.

Eric
Jonathan Jacky (Guest)
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, John C. wrote:

> Now someone has asked me about setting up a Windows demo
> unit. ... Has someone done this ... ?

There was some mention of this on the mailing list a while ago:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio...

Here is a link to that author's web site, which appears to have more
information and files.  There is a screenshot showing the FFT
working on a Windows desktop.

  http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/mingw/

In general, a good way to research GNU Radio questions is to search the
archive of the discussion list:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/

Jon Jacky