Forum: Typo 500s on dreamhost + typo

Mike P. (Guest)
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if there's any further suggestions you can offer
for solving... whatever problem this is: http://uwmike.com

Seems to work sometimes, not others. If you mosey around, you'll hit
the 500 screen within 5 or 6 clicks... I've got my theme part-way
ported to Wordpress, but I'd really really like to keep using Typo.
I'm not sure if the following are any help, but,

- Ruby is version 1.8.2
- Rails is 1.1.2 (but there's revision 3482 in the /vendor/rails
directory)
- Typo is revision 1055
- the /public directory has got about twenty core.xxxx files in it,
dating from the last week and a half or so.

Is there any other information that would be helpful in figuring out
what's wrong with this?

Thanks,

Mike
Scott B. (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 14:18 -0400, Mike P. wrote:
> Is there any other information that would be helpful in figuring out
> what's wrong with this?

I currently have the same problem.  I haven't really tried to fix it
yet.

I did run across this:

http://work.alexyoung.org/archives/102/dreamhost-a...

And I tried making Typo garbage collect after 10 requests but it doesn't
appear to have helped.  Why does nothing appear in the logs??

Keep us posted with your progress!

    - Scott
Steve L. (Guest)
Doesn't Rails 1.1.+ require Ruby 1.8.4?  Did you run rake migrate after
upgrading your Typo installation?
Scott B. (Guest)

Not according to http://rubyonrails.com/down

> Did you run rake migrate after upgrading your Typo installation?

Yep, the db is up to date.

There does appear to be a connection with a process getting killed and
the 500 errors.  I might try to force the Ruby processes to exit after
every 10 requests or something...

    - Scott
Mike P. (Guest)
Scott: Regarding Alex Y.'s article, that was extremely helpful for
a previous version of Typo I'd had, but I believe the most recent
Rails versions have that built in anyways. (at any rate, I tried
adding the class right into dispatch.fcgi and it was the same as
before...)

I temporarily switched .htaccess to point to the CGI dispatcher
instead, hoping that might help if the errors were a fcgi problem.
But, as you can see, the site it now simply slow as well as throwing
up the 500s.

Should I put it into dev mode and paste up the stack traces or
whatever? Would that be helpful?

Mike