Forum: Ruby on Rails Advice needed: Rails generating Java WebRowSet style XML

Wes G. (Guest)
on 2006-05-31 20:53
All,

My Rails app. is required to interface with some pre-existing stuff that
consumes the XML output of a Java 1.5 WebRowSet.  If you've never seen
once of these beasts, it is basically an XML-ized version of SQL data,
chock full of table and column specific metadata.

I should be able to generate this without too much trouble, but wondered
in anyone had any advice for me about how to handle generating it in the
most flexible way.

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of the hard-code DB
metadata stuff in Ruby, I would very much appreciate it.

This WebRowSet XML is a good example of how XML can be a very
non-intermediate type format, since it is effectively bound to the Java
implementation (as least that's what I'm thinking right now).

Thanks,
Wes
Wes G. (Guest)
on 2006-05-31 20:56
Wes G. wrote:
> All,
>
> My Rails app. is required to interface with some pre-existing stuff that
> consumes the XML output of a Java 1.5 WebRowSet.  If you've never seen
> once of these beasts, it is basically an XML-ized version of SQL data,
> chock full of table and column specific metadata.
>
> I should be able to generate this without too much trouble, but wondered
> in anyone had any advice for me about how to handle generating it in the
> most flexible way.
>
> Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of the hard-code DB
> metadata stuff in Ruby, I would very much appreciate it.
>
> This WebRowSet XML is a good example of how XML can be a very
> non-intermediate type format, since it is effectively bound to the Java
> implementation (as least that's what I'm thinking right now).
>
> Thanks,
> Wes

CORRECTION:

I meant to say above:

" Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of the _hard-core_ DB
metadata stuff in Ruby, I would very much appreciate it."