Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails Deployment: Book recommendation?

Human D. (Guest)
Hello,
I'm seeking a book on rails deployment (I think a general deployment
on nix book can helps too)
I need in depth information about Apache, FastCGI, (LightTPD maybe).
I was thinking always I know what a web server is! but when I think
more deeply about it (after reading Capistrano doc) it seems I need
more info about app, web and db servers. stuff like how to config the
app server (for ex. managing FastCGI processes), what slave and master
db means (I know this but need more info!), how to setup clustering on
web server and such things.

Do you know where could I find required info? books? online docs?
anything useful?

Thank you all friends!
- Dunnil
Human D. (Guest)
I forgot to mention, I come from MS Windows.
Jón B. (Guest)
I think you are better of using online documentation.
For the Apache part itself many like the "Pro Apache" book but
deploying Rails is a bit different than the average install.

On 5/31/06, Human D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Do you know where could I find required info? books? online docs?
> anything useful?
>
> Thank you all friends!
> - Dunnil

Justin F. (Guest)
Human D. wrote:

> Do you know where could I find required info? books? online docs?
> anything useful?
>
> Thank you all friends!
> - Dunnil

Ezra Z. is close to releasing the beta (PDF) version of a book
on these subjects. His original announcement is here:

http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/09/rails-deplo...

I expect Ezra will chip in with the latest news on when he expects the
beta to be available. This is a fast-moving area, e.g. with the arrival
of Mongrel and the Apache load-balancing proxy module, so there has been
stuff to cover that didn't exist at the time of his orginal
announcement.

regards

   Justin
Pat L. (Guest)

I'm about a month ahead of you. I'm finding 'Agile Web D. with
Rails' (nicknamed AWDWR)to be an excellent read. Supposedly, the second
edition is about to come out, so you might want to wait a bit.

In regard to Ruby, I read the 'Pickaxe Book' aka 'Programming Ruby'.
Another good book.

I'm also from MS Windows XP/Pro and I'm heading towards Apple land.

If you pick up AWSWR, give me a 'buzz', I may be able to save you a bit
of time - as there is one 'gotcha' in it.

Good luck (to the both of us),
Pat
Justin F. (Guest)
Pat L. wrote:

> I'm about a month ahead of you. I'm finding 'Agile Web D. with
> Rails' (nicknamed AWDWR)to be an excellent read. Supposedly, the second
> edition is about to come out, so you might want to wait a bit.

Buy the PDF, which is in 'beta' for the second edition. You get the
whole book, with chapters being incrementally updated from first edition
to (draft) second edition content. All of the tutorial section is
already in second edition form, and has been through one round of
review. The second edition tutorial uses migrations, a bit of Ajax, and
integration tests, and avoids the use of techniques that are no longer
favoured.

Your PDF will continue to be updated throughout the life of the edition
(so, for example, my hard copy of the first edition is the first
printing, but my PDF of the first edition - which I first got when the
first beta was available - is now the PDF of the fourth printing).

Hard copy of the second edition is planned for around September.

regards

   Justin
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On May 30, 2006, at 5:43 PM, Justin F. wrote:

>> db means (I know this but need more info!), how to setup
> http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/09/rails-deployment-
>   Justin

	Yeah my book on rails deployment is coming along well. With the new
deployment options available I had to postpone a little bit in order
to add new content and rewrite some old content. I hope to have an
announcement about release sometime soon.

Cheers-
-Ezra
Pat L. (Guest)
Hi Justin,
Thanks for the good advice...I'll get the PDF version when I finish the
book...
Cheers,
Pat
Pat L. (Guest)
Good evening,
Just curious...

I start WEBrick by entering the command: ruby script/server.

When I need to stop it, I simply close the command window.

Is there a WEBrick command that will allow me to stop it from running in
a more graceful manner?

Thanks,
Pat
Jón B. (Guest)
Yup. Ctrl + C
Takes about 2 sec to shut down.
It actually says so when you start the server.

On 5/31/06, Pat L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks,
> Pat

Bill W. (Guest)
Hi Pat,

Pat L. wrote:

> I start WEBrick by entering the command: ruby script/server.
>
> When I need to stop it, I simply close the command window.
>
> Is there a WEBrick command that will allow me to stop it from running in
> a more graceful manner?

According to the message displayed when WEBrick starts (line 3) "Ctrl-C
shutdown server;"

Best regards,
Bill
Brian H. (Guest)
This may help: I wrote some articles on deploying Rails apps on
Windows.  They could help get you familiar with some of the ins and
outs of Apache + FCGI or Apache + Mongrel for deployment because you'd
be working in a familiar environment. You should be able to transfer
most of what I have to your *nix environment.

http://www.napcs.com/howto/rails/deploy/
Pat L. (Guest)
Good evening,
Are there any RoR User groups in NYC or NJ or Philadelphia...
Thanks,
Pat
pat eyler (Guest)

http://rubyholic.com/groups/show/2

> or NJ

what part?

http://rubyholic.com/groups/show/115

> Thanks,
> Pat

thanks,
-pate
Pat L. (Guest)
any part of NJ
pat eyler (Guest)
On 6/15/06, Pat L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> any part of NJ

You can try:

http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/PrincetonGroup

please don't top post.

--
thanks,
-pate

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, pat eyler wrote:

> On 6/15/06, Pat L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Good evening,
>> Are there any RoR User groups in NYC
>
> http://rubyholic.com/groups/show/2
>
>> or NJ
>
> what part?

I'm in central NJ, and would also love to know if anyone wants to
start (or has already started?  I tried a couple of times...) a Ruby
and/or Rails group.

David

See what the readers are saying about "Ruby for Rails"!
http://www.rubypowerandlight.com/quotes
Pat L. (Guest)
Hi Pate,
I joined the group.
It looks like it is just getting started...I'll let you know how I make
out..
Thank you,
Pat
Pat L. (Guest)
Is it possible to get a digest of the emails for this org?
If so, will someone please tell me how to get on it.
Thank you,
Pat
pat eyler (Guest)
On 6/15/06, Pat L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible to get a digest of the emails for this org?

yes

> If so, will someone please tell me how to get on it.

(this link is also located at the bottom of this email)

> Thank you,
> Pat

thanks,
-pate