Forum: Ruby on Rails more fcgi problems on apache

Charlie B. (Guest)
I'm having tons of problems with fcgi on apache2.  The app didn't
crash over the weekend when it wasn't used.  I ran it this morning and
it was fine.  It's an inhouse app so it wasn't used for 3 days over the
weekend.  It did however crash today.  Does this sound like a bad fcgi
setup or just a very buggy fcgi/Apache combo?

Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
Tom M. (Guest)
Give up now and go with mod_proxy, mod_proxy_balancer,
and Mongrel instead.

-- -- Tom M.
Charlie B. (Guest)
The decision isn't mine.  I'm just the programmer.  This is the first
app my company has ever ran that isn't plain vanilla cgi and the first
non perl app.  I think the company is going to try out lighty ran behind
apache.  They aren't keen on using mongrel quite yet.  It's still a
little too new for them.  Does the above setup sound good?

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 12:35 -0700, Tom M. wrote:

> > 3 days over the weekend.  It did however crash today.  Does this
> > sound like a bad fcgi setup or just a very buggy fcgi/Apache combo?

Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
Charles Brian Q. (Guest)
I had an app that was continually crashing after a few days, and it
seemed
like a usage thing, happening at 4am randomly every other night, often
2-3
days it would run fine.

I figured out it was my logrotate cron job - restarting apache (and
lighttpd
especially).  That, and don't put your fcgi sockets in /tmp, especially
if
you have a cron job to clean that out.

I took a moment to learn how to use the external spinners/reapers
scripts to
launch external fastcgi instances as well, and now lighttpd and apache
restarts don't mess with my fastcgi instances.

hope that helps.
--
Charles Brian Q.
www.seebq.com