Forum: Ruby on Rails non-ajax data grip types

Craig W. (Guest)
I am writing an application and I have a number of clients that are
using older browsers (Mac OS 9) and I am staying away from ajax stuff
because of them.

Is there a way to have to have a 'scrolling' table rather than
pagination without ajax?

Craig
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 29 May 2006, at 17:14, Craig W. wrote:

> I am writing an application and I have a number of clients that are
> using older browsers (Mac OS 9) and I am staying away from ajax stuff
> because of them.
>
> Is there a way to have to have a 'scrolling' table rather than
> pagination without ajax?

Using only (X)HTML, no. The datagrids you're talking about are about
'dynamically loading rows', dynamically (almost) always implies
JavaScript (whether or not you're using an AJAX framework). You could
replace it with *gulp* Flash. In short, if you want your application/
website to be compatible with browsers from the stone age, don't
expect to be able to use new technology. You could try to make your
application gracefully degrade for older browsers, but it's going to
be quite an adventure to get it working on Internet Exploder on MacOS 9.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt