Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Jabber Powered Rails Chatroom

Adam D. (Guest)
For those who cant access IRC, or just looking for a quick browser based
alternative, i started an open jabber powered webchat for rails.
Hopefully
this will be a nice alternative for people to go to ask questions, get
some
help, offer some help, etc.

I hope the community enjoys it, just trying to give a little back for
all
the hard work.

It can be accessed here

http://jabber.dufftech.com

adam
Larry K. (Guest)
Cool!

I bounce around between several computers.  It's nice to have a browser
based solution.
-Larry
Pratik N. (Guest)
Awesome !

Any chance you're planning to opensource the scripts ?

Thanks,
Pratik
Adam D. (Guest)
its just a web app that one of the guys on the JWchat team wrote (MUckl)
. I
then have an HTTP Polling service that routes http requests to my jabber
server.

If anyone already has a jabber account somewhere you can connect
directly to
my conference service at removed_email_address@domain.invalid

adam
Adam D. (Guest)
sorry thats just removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Also if anyone wants to check out mabber.com (same guy who wrote the
webchat
i use) its a web based jabber client, and i just successfully tested
connecting to my jabber chatroom through it, so thats another
alternative
for those who dont want to use a web page, or dont have a jabber
account.

hope everyone finds it useful.

adam
Jón B. (Guest)
Nice to have options.
Although DHH should really open up a public Campfire page for Rails
chat.

On 5/29/06, Adam D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > > Thanks,

Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-05-30 09:00
Adam D. wrote:
> For those who cant access IRC, or just looking for a quick browser based
> alternative, i started an open jabber powered webchat for rails.

does this interface with the freenode channel? i love that its so big
but something like a tivo for it is needed. in a bridge situation,
oldschool users can still grep "^nick:" stuff in their mIRC/irssi logs,
while us web users can have things pre-threaded, nice search, etc.

btw, the page just gives me a blank background pattern in opera 9.0
after logging in..
Adam D. (Guest)
this doesnt interface with freenode.  Its a basic jabber based web
chatroom
as an alternative for IRC.  Sometimes IRC is either blocked or not
easily
accessible so I thought this would be a nice alternative when you need a
quick answer from anywhere.

adam
Adam D. (Guest)
For ease of use I have moved this to a new site.

http://www.railswebchat.com

adam
Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-05-30 23:33
> this doesnt interface with freenode.
> http://www.railswebchat.com

then im suggesting the idea :) #TCL has a bridge between their freenode
channel and a Tk (web?)chat platform which works quite well... more
interesting than a splintering of the chat community would be providing
new accessibiity options - eg web browser, and threading ,
searchability, and non-real-time replies to other users.. anyways. im
not going to develop it, since this forum is fine, but the area is ripe
for picking (if 3bubbles, Campfire, GTalkr, Meebo, Mabber, etc have any
say)
Carmen -. (Guest)
on 2006-05-30 23:34
>  since this forum is fine

and really this 'forum' proves my point. since its also an oldschool
mailing-list, a gmane group, etc..
Adam D. (Guest)
well we can use jjig to build a gateway between jabber and IRC, but
keeping
the 2 conference rooms in sync might be tricky.  I will investigate.

adam