Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails hosting on BlueHost.com -- Feeback needed

Vs Y. (Guest)
on 2006-05-29 06:33
hi Friends,

Planning to use BlueHost.com for my Ruby on Rails application hosting on
their $6.95 per month. Is anyone using them ? What version of ROR do
they provide ? What kind of webserver does they provide ? How much RAM ?
Can i re-start the web-server if my ROR application demands ?

May be the above answers would be best answered by their sales dept. But
if anyone is using them, please respond.

Thanks for your time.

VASU
donncha (Guest)
on 2006-05-29 06:55
Yes, I'm using them, though I'm an RoR noob so probably not much help.
I'm also only developing at the moment and haven't deployed a production
app.

They've got v1.1 installed.

Webserver is Apache 1.3.34 on Linux. Don't know what RAM etc. is, and
would be almost certain that you would NOT be allowed to restart server,
as it's almost certainly VirtualHosting.

Their sales dept. are usually pretty good with answers.

VS YR wrote:
> Planning to use BlueHost.com for my Ruby on Rails application hosting on
> their $6.95 per month. Is anyone using them ? What version of ROR do
> they provide ? What kind of webserver does they provide ? How much RAM ?
> Can i re-start the web-server if my ROR application demands ?
Vs Y. (Guest)
on 2006-05-29 07:20
Thanks for the response.  Is a re-starting the web-server an absolute
requirement for a ROR application ?

-VASU.

donncha wrote:
> Yes, I'm using them, though I'm an RoR noob so probably not much help.
> I'm also only developing at the moment and haven't deployed a production
> app.
>
> They've got v1.1 installed.
>
> Webserver is Apache 1.3.34 on Linux. Don't know what RAM etc. is, and
> would be almost certain that you would NOT be allowed to restart server,
> as it's almost certainly VirtualHosting.
>
> Their sales dept. are usually pretty good with answers.
>
> VS YR wrote:
>> Planning to use BlueHost.com for my Ruby on Rails application hosting on
>> their $6.95 per month. Is anyone using them ? What version of ROR do
>> they provide ? What kind of webserver does they provide ? How much RAM ?
>> Can i re-start the web-server if my ROR application demands ?
Jón B. (Guest)
On 5/29/06, VS YR <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  Is a re-starting the web-server an absolute
> requirement for a ROR application ?

If we were all perfect programmers it would not be needed. But it's
just a lot less hassle if you can restart or kill the FastCGI Process.