Forum: Ruby on Rails deploying R_o_R to local servers

hawe (Guest)
on 2006-05-27 17:53
Hi!

I'm pretty amazed by the features of RoR so far. But, as I come from the
desktop application development, my clients expect to run the magic on
their domain rather on a foreign one. Also I feel uncomfortable giving
away my RoR code to some hosting company, because I'm planning to do a
large application.

As I understand, RoR is designed to run on central web-servers and not
on client's ones. Nevertheless, is there a way to run this app on a
client's server and not to make them able to read the code?

Or, if there's nothing, let's put it the other way round: how could a
solution to this look like? Maybe writing a special Apache-module which
accesses ruby/rails?

Thanks a lot for your help,
hawe.
Jón B. (Guest)
Well... What you are really looking for is compiled ruby scripts like
Python has(And PHP with addons). I think that is something they are
working on for Ruby 2 but I might be wrong on that. I have looked at
some solutions for protecting the code but I have not been happy with
any of them. The only thing I have really been satisfied with is to
simply provide the computer that runs on the site and not give them
the password.

On 5/27/06, hawe <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> client's server and not to make them able to read the code?

Michael T. (Guest)
You might want to see this:

http://blog.zenspider.com/archives/2006/05/ruby_ob...

and contact Eric H. or Ryan D. about this product.

Michael
Pat L. (Guest)

I'm putting up an app that, initially, will only be used by two users.
I'm about to buy an Apple box. Is it possible to set up an Apple as a
WebBrick Server and access from two different locations?

I've done this on an XP/Pro box using ASP.Net.

Thanks,
Pat
Jón B. (Guest)
Uhh. I might be misunderstanding yoi. Of course can all web servers be
accessed from all arround. If you want to run the Webrick server on
port 80 you have to start it as root as Linux, BSD and MacOs don't
allow normal users to start anything on a port under 1024.

On 5/28/06, Pat L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I'm pretty amazed by the features of RoR so far. But, as I come from the
> solution to this look like? Maybe writing a special Apache-module which

Pat L. (Guest)
Good morning,

I've committed to developing three applications using RoR.
I'm planning on using an Apple box to do the development.
I visited the Apple store in NYC and was very impressed with the choice
of machines and their associated cost. The sales folks were also very
helpful.

My question is: can you recommend a book or books that would help me "to
get me up to speed" with Apple?

Thank you,
Pat
Roman LE NEGRATE (Guest)
> My question is: can you recommend a book or books that would help
> me "to
> get me up to speed" with Apple?

I think you don't need any book. Apple's hardware is actually plug
and play. Apple's softwares are so intuitive that you will be
comfortable with them quickly.
Dick D. (Guest)
On 11/06/06, Pat L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> My question is: can you recommend a book or books that would help me "to
> get me up to speed" with Apple?

Depends on your background. I found 'osx for unix geeks' from o'reilly
was very
useful.
Kfir L. (Guest)
If you are Linux person, you can install linux and not use OS-X.
If you are a windows person... well... Just install linux ;) hehe

Kfir
Jón B. (Guest)
On 6/11/06, Kfir L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> If you are Linux person, you can install linux and not use OS-X.
> If you are a windows person... well... Just install linux ;) hehe

Why install Linux. You already have all the linux software runnable on
MacOS??

> > > My question is: can you recommend a book or books that would help me "to
> > > get me up to speed" with Apple?

These is some book called MacOs X the missing manual that some people
like.
This is a nice article. There are a few more on this
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp...

--
Pat L. (Guest)
Good morning,

Thanks for the 'heads up'...
I'll proceed with the purchase...

Next question, the "AWDWR" book gives a caution in regard to Apple
default installation of RoR -- it is that the RoR installation that
comes with the Apple box needs to be ignored and RoR needs to be
reinstalled...

I'll probably be using OSX and Tiger...any advice in regard to the
installation of RoR, Ruby, MySQL, GEMS and Rake?

Good week,
Pat
Pat L. (Guest)
Thanks for the advice...I like the O'Reilly books and have purchased, at
your recommendation, "OS X for Unix Geeks...".
Good week,
Pat
Pat L. (Guest)
I've been using MS XP/Pro but I have used Linux in the past [and liked
it]. When I buy the Apple box, does it come with Linux installed?

I'll check out the link you provided...

Ciao,
pat
Pat L. (Guest)
Good morning,
I'm currently working with MS XP/Pro and ASP.Net 2.0 but I have worked
with both Unix and Linux in the past...So, I'll pick up the book you
recommended..
Ciao,
Pat
Jón B. (Guest)
On 6/11/06, Pat L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been using MS XP/Pro but I have used Linux in the past [and liked
> it]. When I buy the Apple box, does it come with Linux installed?

No. You don't need it. You can compile all Linux software righ inside
MacOS X. Some Linux software that is graphic based already has support
for OS X but for others you have to use the X server that comes with
OS X.

--
Pat L. (Guest)
Good morning Jon,
On 11 Jun 2006, at 15:40, Pat L. wrote:

> Next question, the "AWDWR" book gives a caution in regard to Apple
> default installation of RoR -- it is that the RoR installation that
> comes with the Apple box needs to be ignored and RoR needs to be
> reinstalled...
>
> I'll probably be using OSX and Tiger...any advice in regard to the
> installation of RoR, Ruby, MySQL, GEMS and Rake?

I found the best way was to install DarwinPorts (http://
darwinports.opendarwin.org/), then use that to install ruby and
rubygems (sudo port install ruby; sudo port install rb-rubygems). You
can then install rails, the MySQL bindings etc using rubygems as
normal. This way it's trivial to keep everything up-to-date,
regardless of the operating system upgrades.

For MySQL itself, I just used the standard installer for Mac OS X. I
had problems trying to run the 64 bit version, so I'd advise using
the 32 bit PowerPC version even if you've got a G5 (chances are
you'll be getting an Intel Mac anyway, so you'd want the x86 installer).

Kerry
Pat L. (Guest)
Good afternoon Kerry,
Thank you for all your good advice...I certainly will take it...
Cheers,
Pat
Craig D. (Guest)
I second the use of DarwinPorts. I really like James Duncan
Davidson's article about using it to create a nice Ruby and Rails
development environment: http://duncandavidson.com/essay/2006/04/
portsandbox.

Regards,
Craig
Pat L. (Guest)
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the information...I'll see if I can get DarwinPorts up and
running...I'll probably wind up with an Intel Apple box...
Cheers,
Pat
Pat L. (Guest)
Good afternoon,

It looks like I can create an array of arrays. I need to do this in
order to implement a graph that needs an x, y and exp(y) for each array

I did the following:
a = [[1,2,7.4], [2,5,148.4]]
puts a[0] #returns 1,2,7.4
puts a[1] #returns 2,5,148.4
b = a[0]
puts b[0] #returns 1
puts b[1] #returns 2
puts b[2] #returns 7.4

This does exactly what I want to do, but I was wondering if there is a
more elegant way to do this...[I'm a scientific programmer who's first
language was Fortran]...

Good week,
Pat
Juan Lupión (Guest)
You may also find this link useful:

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

I just installed Ruby, Rails, and stuff this morning following the
instructions.
Brian H. (Guest)
Hey, Pat. This is pretty much a straight-up Ruby question, which
really aren't that appropriate for the Rails mailing list. That being
said, what you are doing is exactly the way to access an Array of
Array objects. The only piece of the syntax you are missing is: a[0]
[0] #returns 1.

-Brian
Pat L. (Guest)
Juan,
Thanks again. I have to do a 'proof of concept' study, using Ruby, and
then I'll get back to the Apple installation...
Good week,
Pat
Pat L. (Guest)
Thanks Brian...I'll have to find the Ruby forum...
Joe B. (Guest)
In article <001101c68d5a$29ba8320$removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
 "Pat L." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I've committed to developing three applications using RoR.
> I'm planning on using an Apple box to do the development.
> I visited the Apple store in NYC and was very impressed with the choice
> of machines and their associated cost. The sales folks were also very
> helpful.
>
> My question is: can you recommend a book or books that would help me "to
> get me up to speed" with Apple?

Go grab the O'Reilly "OS X for Unix Geeks" book if you're already a unix
guy.

And go to fink.sourceforge.net and install fink - it automates the
process of installing tons of open source programs and knows about
dependencies. This will make installing mysql or postgresql as simple as
"fink install mysql" or "fink install postgresql".

If you end up not liking the fink approach, there is also darwinports,
but I don't use it.

--
Joe B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Have GNU, will travel.
unknown (Guest)

> IAnd go to fink.sourceforge.net and install fink - it automates the
> process of installing tons of open source programs and knows about
> dependencies. This will make installing mysql or postgresql as simple as
> "fink install mysql" or "fink install postgresql".

is fink intel friendly now? last i knew it was still in the preliminary
support stages...
Pat L. (Guest)
Thanks Joe
Patrick L. (Guest)
How do you subscribe to the digest only?
Craig W. (Guest)