Forum: Rails Engines Misunderstanding init_engine.rb?

Al E. (Guest)
(Sorry if this is not the right list -- I tried posting to engine-
developers, but got no response.)

It seems to me that the init_engine.rb file must not be getting
processed, or -- just as likely -- I'm misunderstanding something.

For example, in init_engine.rb, I have:

module PSitsnotEngine
   module VERSION
     Major = 0 # change implies compatibility breaking with previous
versions
     Minor = 1 # change implies backwards-compatible change to API
     Release = 0 # incremented with bug-fixes, updates, etc.
   end

   # Configuration -- can be overridden in environment.rb
   config :max_output_size, 640
   config :max_cache_size, 1024
   config :cache_file_type, 'png'
end

Then, I use script/console:

 >> PSitsnotEngine.class
=> Module
 >> PSitsnotEngine::VERSION.class
NameError: uninitialized constant VERSION
         from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/
lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:123:in `const_missing'
         from (irb):2
 >> PSitsnotEngine.config :max_output_size
=> nil
 >> PSitsnotEngine::CONFIG
=> {}

What am I missing here? The "config" statements work fine if I put
them in environment.rb.

					--Al Evans--
James A. (Guest)
Hi Al,

This is indeed the right place to post. First things first - what
versions of Ruby, Rails and the Engines plugin are you using?

The next thing to do when debugging this kind of stuff is stick 'puts'
lines at the top of files and start script/console or the webrick
server, so you can see what's being loaded when. FYI, the file
'init_engine.rb' will get loaded when you call Engines.start
:<engine_name>.

- james
Al E. (Guest)
On May 26, 2006, at 9:46 AM, James A. wrote:

> Hi Al,
>
> This is indeed the right place to post. First things first - what
> versions of Ruby, Rails and the Engines plugin are you using?

ruby 1.8.4, Rails 1.1.2, Engines 1.1.2

> The next thing to do when debugging this kind of stuff is stick 'puts'
> lines at the top of files and start script/console or the webrick
> server, so you can see what's being loaded when. FYI, the file
> 'init_engine.rb' will get loaded when you call Engines.start
> :<engine_name>.

(IN init_engine.rb)
puts "init_engine.rb loaded"
puts "PSitsnotEngine::VERSION::Minor is #
{PSitsnotEngine::VERSION::Minor}"
puts "PSitsnotEngine.config :max_output_size is #
{PSitsnotEngine.config :max_output_size}"

alsmini:~/Development/RonRailsDev/psitsnot-engine al$ script/console
init_engine.rb loaded
PSitsnotEngine::VERSION::Minor is 1
PSitsnotEngine.config :max_output_size is 640

So it looks good at this point. But then I type:

 >> PSitsnotEngine::VERSION::Minor
NameError: uninitialized constant VERSION
         from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/
lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:123:in `const_missing'
         from (irb):1
 >> PSitsnotEngine.config :max_output_size
=> nil

As you can see, it all disappeared. If I put the same initialization
into environment.rb, it stays put.

Thanks in advance for any clues you can give me.

					--Al Evans--