Forum: Ruby File.stat.mode not same mode as File.stat.inspect ??

Zach B. (Guest)
I am working on a little ruby script to check file stats and I am
getting a weird mask when I query the mode directly. I am also looking
at stat.2 (man 2 stat) and the bits just are not adding up to give me 8.

The proper mode is 0100644 but when I print @mode = fileObj.stat.mode I
get 33188

print "-----\n", fileObj.stat.inspect, "\n-----\n"
-----
#<File::Stat dev=0x6809, ino=19, mode=0100644, nlink=1, uid=506,
gid=501, rdev=0x0, size=50, blksize=4096, blocks=8, atime=Tue May 23
16:19:47 MST 2006, mtime=Tue May 23 16:19:47 MST 2006, ctime=Tue May 23
16:19:47 MST 2006>
-----
print fileObj.stat.mode
33188     <---- Value that's confusing me
print fileObj.stat.uid
501
print fileObj.stat.gid
506

Can anyone clarify what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Zach
Tim H. (Guest)
on 2006-05-25 21:45
Zach B. wrote:
> I am working on a little ruby script to check file stats and I am
> getting a weird mask when I query the mode directly. I am also looking
> at stat.2 (man 2 stat) and the bits just are not adding up to give me 8.
>
> The proper mode is 0100644 but when I print @mode = fileObj.stat.mode I
> get 33188

0100644 octal == 33188 decimal
Ryan L. (Guest)
On 5/25/06, Zach B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I am working on a little ruby script to check file stats and I am
> getting a weird mask when I query the mode directly. I am also looking
> at stat.2 (man 2 stat) and the bits just are not adding up to give me 8.
>
> The proper mode is 0100644 but when I print @mode = fileObj.stat.mode I
> get 33188

You are displaying the mode in decimal when it should be octal to
match what you think it should be:

irb(main):001:0> '%07o' % 33188
=> "0100644

Ryan