Forum: Ruby on Rails 150 Rails Plugins

Benjamin C. (Guest)
The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support
too: http://www.bencurtis.com/archives/2006/05/150-rails-plugins/

--
Benjamin C.
http://www.bencurtis.com/

Michael
Alain R. (Guest)
> The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support

I wonder: is this really a good news: 150 plugins, and counting?! How
many in 6 months?
It would currently take 2.5 hour just to spend 1 minute per plugin to
read its name, description and very very briefly check its home site.

Where is the good old
    "Less is more"
gone?

More is less.

Alain
Charlie B. (Guest)
I couldn't disagree more.  I take the number to mean that there is a
super strong community of users who are willing to put the time into
producing re-usable code.  I've only written two small plugins, but I
know I could have completed the task I was using them for much faster if
I hadn't taken the time to package the code into a plugin.  Look at all
the modules on CPAN.  A lot of people still use perl today just for the
fact that they have access to 1000's (10,000s?) of modules.  Does the
number of perl modules make perl bloated?  I think the fact there are a
lot of plugins is great.  It helps to keep the core rails framework from
becoming too fat.  This way you only have to use a plugin if you want.

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:29 +0200, Alain R. wrote:

> More is less.
>
> Alain

Charlie B.
http://www.recentrambles.com
Philip H. (Guest)
>   > The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support
>
> I wonder: is this really a good news: 150 plugins, and counting?! How many in
> 6 months?

It is if you need something from one of them :-)

> It would currently take 2.5 hour just to spend 1 minute per plugin to read
> its name, description and very very briefly check its home site.

subscribe to the feed... I spend about 2 minutes a day... i don't look
at
them that closely though...

http://feeds.feedburner.com/RubyOnRailsPlugins

-philip
unknown (Guest)
Hmm, "less is more" is all well and good for doing a specific job, but
surely all this availability of code is a good thing. If you want to
find something which does a job you need doing, you search for it,
find it, install it and run it, so you don't need to do it yourself.
That is "less is more".
-N
Adam (Guest)
on 2006-05-26 23:01
Alain R. wrote:
>> The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support
>
> I wonder: is this really a good news: 150 plugins, and counting?! How
> many in 6 months?
> It would currently take 2.5 hour just to spend 1 minute per plugin to
> read its name, description and very very briefly check its home site.
>
> Where is the good old
>     "Less is more"
> gone?
>
> More is less.
>
> Alain

I don't have a problem with all these plugins. They solve the kind of
problems they were designed to, add functionality and cover those 5% of
edge cases. The problem comes when you have 10 plugins that do the same
thing. I don't think we're there yet and with sites like Benjamin's I
don't see it happening. Extracting code/logic from working applications
and easily distributing it is turning out some great plugins.