Yet another rails site - happycarpools.com

I’m pretty much done with a project I’ve been developing to learn Rails,
http://www.happycarpools.com . If you could take a look, that’d be
awesome!
Feedback would be even more awesome!

Probably the coolest thing about making this has been seeing how Rails
does
so much and hardly has any superfluous parts, if any. There are so
many
features that I initially didn’t think I’d ever need, but then the need
arose and the feature was there to save time for me. Hooray for Rails!

Daniel
daniel at flyingmachinestudios dot com

It’s quite a cool idea. And no criticism immediately spring to mind.
If you internationalise (note the British spelling) it, that would be
pretty awsome. Here in the UK, if you just ask someone if you could
ride with them, they either make up some excuse or just drive off.
-N

On 5/24/06, Daniel H. [email protected] wrote:

I’m pretty much done with a project I’ve been developing to learn Rails,
http://www.happycarpools.com . If you could take a look, that’d be awesome!
Feedback would be even more awesome!

Hi Daniel,

Very nice site. A focused idea and a pleasing user interface.

Peter

Daniel H. wrote:

Thanks for looking at it, and thanks for the suggestion!

It’s crazy that you all can at least go up to some stranger and ask for a
ride; I wouldn’t even think of doing that here

Oh, it would work okay in most of the states… But then you’d need
your blackberry to look up the sister-site happyhospitals.com :slight_smile:
Hmmm…maybe that doesn’t qualify as “work okay”.

-Curtis

Hi,
Looks great. Are you going to implement the ‘Show Notes’ link and the
Back Button link?
Ciao,
Pat

Thanks for looking at it, and thanks for the suggestion!

It’s crazy that you all can at least go up to some stranger and ask for
ride; I wouldn’t even think of doing that here

just to report a bug in the New carpool button on the main page; at
http://www.happycarpools.com/carpools/new I get a message saying
Application
error (Rails)

It’s a very nice app. Wish people were so cooperative here; we have huge
traffic problems in my city. Is this a closed-source project or could we
take a look at the source and maybe learn something new?

On 5/26/06, Glenn C. [email protected] wrote:

In regard to “New Carpool” on the front page

it says Create a new car pool starting in Abbeville and going to
Abberville. With the button under it.

I can imagine that some people both live and work in Abbeville.
Perhaps they have to drive a few kilometers to get to work.

Thanks for the feedback!

If you change the dropdowns under “search” the highlighted text with the
city names will be updated automatically. I can see how that would be
confusing, but I believe that when the site sees real-world usage this
feature will be an asset.

And as Peter mentioned, some people probably will be going from one end
of
town to another, especially in huge congested cities like Houston.

Thanks also for the critique of the logo. Unfortunately I have no
design
skills, but the colors seem to convey “happy” to me.

Thanks again!
Daniel

On 5/26/06, Daniel H. [email protected] wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

If you change the dropdowns under “search” the highlighted text with the
city names will be updated automatically. I can see how that would be
confusing, but I believe that when the site sees real-world usage this
feature will be an asset.

Works. I think maybe a quick “blurb” would explain it, but I think it
is fairly common now-days to have this behavior.

And as Peter mentioned, some people probably will be going from one end of
town to another, especially in huge congested cities like Houston.

Yup yup…blasted capitalist metropolis USA… Heehee… I want to
telecommute… :: pout ::

Thanks also for the critique of the logo. Unfortunately I have no design
skills, but the colors seem to convey “happy” to me.

I think the logo is fine. It’s pastels which are easy on the eyes
anyway… And it definitely conveys “happy”. Overall, clean, fast,
good functionality, but simple. To use corporate-speak: a win-win!

-Curtis

In regard to “New Carpool” on the front page

it says Create a new car pool starting in Abbeville and going to
Abberville. With the button under it.

Seems a bit strange to me. Why would I want to create a car pool
starting in Abbeville and going to Abberville?

If you want to have that widget have a drop down selection for the
locations. Or just have a link “create my carpool”. Same for the “get
notified”

I also though the Happy Carpools logo at the top was a bit “bright”, a
darker blue and darker green I think would be easier on the eyes in the
long run, but that is just me

Daniel,

like the site, and the idea behind it. The colors seem to say “HAPPY”!
Keep it up! And if you could share the code, and warn us about some
pitfalls you have encountered would be great!

ok I’ll keep an eye on it. Good luck!

Thanks for taking a look - I imagine the error message was due to
Dreamhost
being flaky. I think when I’ve got it fully up and running I’ll put the
source up for download. I predict, however, that you’ll only learn a
few
things not to do :slight_smile:

[...]

hehe… I’ve seen projects that try to get into niche markets. But
this one tops all. :wink:
Very nice though all jokes apart.

On 5/25/06, Daniel H. [email protected] wrote:

daniel at flyingmachinestudios dot com

Rails mailing list

It actually started out as oahucarpools.com, serving just one tiny
island on
the most isolated archipelago in the world :slight_smile:

Well… We don’t actually need that here in Iceland. We just jump into
the next car. Odds are he’s going in the same direction as we.