Forum: Ruby on Rails OCI8::Cursor (Name Error) in HP-UX 11.11 error

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Deniz R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 22:42
Hi
I have looked at google about this error as well as in ruby on rails
forums, but I can not specifically locate the exact problem and the
solution for it.
Basically, I successfully installed ruby 1.8.4 on HP-UX 11.11 with rails
gem.
But unfortunately whenever I try to create a test application by using
"rails testapp", I am getting the follwing errror:

$ rails testapp
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:520:
undefined method `define_a_column' for class `OCI8::Cursor' (NameError)
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:in
`require'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record.rb:75
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.2/lib/active_record.rb:74
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:182:in
`activate'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:181:in
`activate'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:167:in
`activate'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:166:in
`activate'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:37:in
`require_gem_with_options'
        from
/apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:31:in
`require_gem'
        from /apps/gcti/ccon_rep/cfile/bin/rails:17

Now I am suspecting that the OCI8 adapter either is not installed
properly or rails is not installed properly. I need OCI8 because I am
going to connect to an oracle database.
Could you be kind enough to let me know what the exact problem is and
how to solve it?
Best regards
Deniz
Bill W. (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 23:08
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Deniz

deniz rende wrote:

> Basically, I successfully installed ruby 1.8.4
> on HP-UX 11.11 with rails gem.

Could you say more about what you mean when you say "successfully
installed"?

Configuring Rails to use Oracle is best treated as a second step in
configuring Rails.  I recommend you take it a step at a time and start
at
the beginning.

Are you able, for example, to get to the Rails welcome page using
WEBrick?

Best regards,
Bill
Deniz R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 23:21
>
> Could you say more about what you mean when you say "successfully
> installed"?
>
> Configuring Rails to use Oracle is best treated as a second step in
> configuring Rails.  I recommend you take it a step at a time and start
> at
> the beginning.
>
> Are you able, for example, to get to the Rails welcome page using
> WEBrick?
>
> Best regards,
> Bill

Hi Bill,
What I mean by successfully installing ruby means that, a simple hello
world application such as ruby -e 'puts "Hello World"' works or writing
ruby -v that returns ruby 1.8.4...
Going back to rails on top of ruby just does not work. Creating a simple
test app was not succesful. Therefore I could not go to the directory
and simply start up webrick, but I can see rails being istalled by
typing gem list --local.
Thnx
Deniz
Bill W. (Guest)
on 2006-05-25 00:01
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Deniz,

deniz rende wrote:

> What I mean by successfully installing ruby means that, a simple hello
> world application such as ruby -e 'puts "Hello World"' works or writing
> ruby -v that returns ruby 1.8.4...

OK.  That gives hope that Ruby was indeed successfully installed.

> Going back to rails on top of ruby just does not work.
> Creating a simple test app was not succesful.  Therefore
> I could not go to the directory and simply start up webrick,

I'm not sure what you mean what you mean by "could not go to the
directory
and simply start up webrick."  If you really mean you can't start
WEBrick
you've got a different problem than if you mean you can start WEBrick
but it
won't serve a simple test app.  Which do you mean?

Bill
Deniz R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-25 00:25
Bill W. wrote:
> Hi Deniz,
>
> deniz rende wrote:
>
>> What I mean by successfully installing ruby means that, a simple hello
>> world application such as ruby -e 'puts "Hello World"' works or writing
>> ruby -v that returns ruby 1.8.4...
>
> OK.  That gives hope that Ruby was indeed successfully installed.
>
>> Going back to rails on top of ruby just does not work.
>> Creating a simple test app was not succesful.  Therefore
>> I could not go to the directory and simply start up webrick,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean what you mean by "could not go to the
> directory
> and simply start up webrick."  If you really mean you can't start
> WEBrick
> you've got a different problem than if you mean you can start WEBrick
> but it
> won't serve a simple test app.  Which do you mean?
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,
In my original message I mentioned that creating a test application by
using
$rails testapp
would spit out the error.
Therefore, the directory is not created. Since the tesapp directory is
not created, It is just not possible to go in there and write
ruby script/server
Therefore webrick can not be started.
Please refer to the original message and see the errors.
thnx
Deniz
Bill W. (Guest)
on 2006-05-25 02:11
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Deniz,

deniz rende wrote:

> In my original message I mentioned that creating
> a test application by using $rails testapp would
> spit out the error.  Therefore, the directory is not
> created. Since the tesapp directory is not created,
> It is just not possible to go in there and write
> ruby script/server Therefore webrick can not be started.
> Please refer to the original message and see the errors.

Sorry about missing that in your original post.  Rails is definitely not
installed correctly installed.  Don't waste time worrying about Oracle
adapters.  Get Rails working on a base install (i.e., works with
WEBrick).
Once that's working, take the next step.

hth.
Bill
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.